This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By BB52
Hello to everyone,

i recently ordered my 2018/2019 Classic 500 Desert Storm and while waiting for it to be delivered, I try to figure out what to modify.
One of the first things i plan to do, is to change the turn-indicators, which imo don't really fit to the Desert Storm design.

Unfortunately there is only very little known about the RE-Bikes here in Germany, and even my Bike-Shop couldn't tell me what i would like to know.
Maybe someone here can tell me, please?

Inside the handlebar there must be some thread-inserts to accomodate the screws for the handlebar-weights. I want to exchange the weights with Kellermann BL1000 Bar-End-Indicators which will also serve as a Handlebar-Weight (abt. 400gs each, made of chromed brass). So i can get rid of these enormous original indicators and have better weights.

But for that i would have to remove the thread inserts.

The Question is: are these inserts welded to the handlebar (which would mean i would have to exchange the handlebar as well). Or are they glued in? Or just clamped?
By AndyMc
They are welded in. If you replace the handlebars you will need ones with corresponding holes to locate the switch gear. May he easier to drill the welded inserts.
By BB52
Thanks so far...i'll think about the Wurst-Dispenser.....;-)

Concerning drilling out the inserts: are they welded all around or just some Points? I doubt I'll find a drill large enough to be handheld. What is the inner Diameter of the Handlebars?
By stinkwheel
I presume the switchgear has a round locating "tag" in the same way as Japanese bikes? I know on some of those you get lucky and it's actually a brass dowel that can be pulled out. In any case, I've removed that tag on the switchgear (either pulling it out or cutting it off) on every motorbike I've owned since I broke my wrist 20 years ago so I could rotate the switches to suit my odd-angled hand. If the switchgear doesn't grip well enough as-is, a couple of turns of black PVC tape round the bar underneath the switch ensures it does. I do the same thing on the other side if I'm changing handlebars, life is too short to be drilling holes there.

This has literally never caused me a problem with switchgear moving/coming adrift. I can only conclude those tags are fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

If you want to drill the ends out, you need something called a blacksmiths drill.

However. Looking at those flashers, they seem to fit with an expanding rubber insert and nut. In fairness, I've generally found these to be pretty useless (I lost two bar-ends at the weekend secured in that manner) The ones with an expanding metal fixing or two angled spacers that override one another seem to get a much better hold. I suspect it would be very easy to fit those flashers to the existing threaded inserts. They will almost certainly be a metric thread. All you'd need to do is fabricate a suitable length of spacer to replace the rubber tube and nut. Or space it out with a stack of washers if the aim is to get plenty if weight in there. I'd use thread lock.

If you're using the rubber inserts, make sure you degrease both them and the inside of the bar. I'd also suggest putting a little hair spray on them, this grips really strongly once it dries.
By BB52
Ah, thats a good point....

- does anyone know what size of thread the original bar-end weights have? Looks to me as if the Kellermann have M5 or maybe M6.

- how deep are the thread inserts recessed into the handlebar?
It looks to me as if the Kellermann BL1000 have at least 6cm that extend from the mainbody. This part has to vanish into the handlebar. Even if i can get the expanding rubber off i will still have abt 4cm left that have to go beyond the thread insert...depending on how far it is recessed into the handlebar. So the distance from end of handlebar to thread-insert would be crucial for this project.

And i am also worrying how to get the cable through the M5 hole
By Norm
From memory they have a couple of short welds on them, got mine out , can't remember how so couldn't have been too big a problem, might have even just cut the bars off at the welds to narrow the bars up a bit to get through the traffic easier

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles