By PeteF
Beezabryan wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:46 pm
My understanding is that the tank on enfileds is a partly structural member?

How does that work?
It's not Bryan. I don't know where this comes from but I've seen it quoted a few times.
It is true that some bike frames do rely on the tank for structural strength. Tiger Cubs were a bit suspect off road without a steel tank. We used to but a brace up in the tank tunnel as a stiffener when using the bike for trials with alloy tanks. Some of the real trick Cubs had an oil tank under the tank acting as a brace.
By mart
Top yoke PART No. SPECIAL35878 is cheaper and you can cut off the speedo hoop, ali rims ( 21 inch front) ali tank, ali or plastic mudguards, small non sprung trials seat, drill all the bolts, ali bodied shocks, ali engine plates, loose that rear frame, 1/2 width ali rear hub with ali sprocket, Continental GT swingarm, 520 chain and sprockets, smaller battery?? the smallest LED rear light you can find with a plastic mumber plate bolted direct to the mudguard, fit the smallest headlight you can find, ali levers and a Crusader frame. Every little helps as they say at Tesco! Oh and drill holes in everything.
Attachments
DSCN4031.JPG
DSCN4031.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 54 times
By vince
Hi, Alloy rims, hollow out all bolts, alloy engine plates. Look at each item and ask yourself how can I lighten this. Just by removing unnecessary items can save a lot in weight. . A redditch sold trial bike was about 309lb try getting to that as a target. Vince
By trophyvase
As a lesson in ultimate weight saving on a 'classic' take a look at Sammy Miller's Ariel.
Weight saving without compromising strength.

I think it was a 'winner' too!!!! :shock:

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles