This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By jawa-enfield
Okay, this is my second brake plate i encountered with this;
The pivots are crooked.
I wonder if it is from factory, or bent under the strain from braking? The latter does match the direction of the crookedness..

Who else has seen this before?
Attachments
apa2.jpg
apa2.jpg (138.31 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
apa1.jpg
apa1.jpg (151.15 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
By vince
Hi, probably bad machining, I would think if the backplate warped in that area then the hole next to it would also warp in the same direction. Vince
By stinkwheel
I have a load of back ones bent like that.

You could unscrew it and see if it's the pin that is bent or the hole that is crooked.
By jawa-enfield
stinkwheel wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:28 pm
I have a load of back ones bent like that.

You could unscrew it and see if it's the pin that is bent or the hole that is crooked.
This is the 'new and improved'one(both) or do you mean also the - from 2002-models are screwed in and not cast?

EDIT/ i can turn them with a strong set of pliers but they do not come off like with a nut/olt..
By jawa-enfield
If they bend under the strain of braking then replacing the item will be useless.
With the first one i encountered this, i thought the machined down braking cams to 50% of the original width- in search of more stoppingpower- maybe would be at fault..

Are the older type plates, with the screwd in pivots better?
By p
Well, if you can turn them with pliers, turn them half a turn, if they still lean that way then it is the base plate that is at fault - but if the distortion alters then it is the pivot bent. It looks to me that the pivot is not pressed squarely into the backplate, or has moved, either way renewal or "engineering" will be required. A bolt through setup would be more rigid.
By Adrian
If the holes bored for the cam spindle are at a wonky angle instead of parallel to the front axle, you have two choices.

1. Throw the brake plate on the scrap heap and keep looking for one which HAS been machined accurately, there might be one or two out there;

2. Take the brake plate to a competent engineer who cam mill out the cam housing so that it DOES point in the right direction and fit a bronze bush for the cam spindle.

3. (Yes, I know I mentioned two choices) Fit the forks off an early C5 EFI Bullet (2009 - 2011) and a disk brake front wheel. Electra-X and Electra-EFI forks will also fit the headlamp casting.

A.
By jawa-enfield
p wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:11 pm
Well, if you can turn them with pliers, turn them half a turn, if they still lean that way then it is the base plate that is at fault - but if the distortion alters then it is the pivot bent. It looks to me that the pivot is not pressed squarely into the backplate, or has moved, either way renewal or "engineering" will be required. A bolt through setup would be more rigid.
When twisting, they do not alter direction.. This is the -since 2002- brake plate but the pivots are -as i understand from you- screwed in and not pressed in?

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles