This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By B10BLT
So I've gone up one to 16 teeth now. Thoroughly recommend this mod. Much more relaxed coming up through the gears and the bike will happily chunter all day along the green lanes in 2nd at up 20 mph, just like my old beloved 350 classic trials used to. As previously reported, 70 mph now a reality at 400 or 500 rpm lower than previously. Should be standard in my view. No noticeable adverse effect on performance. My local RE dealer fitted the sprocket ( from our host) for me in half an hour for 25 quid.
By Jon Hill
Is there enough space for a 17 tooth gear sprocket? My Himalayan has a standard 15 tooth sprocket and a 36 tooth rear sprocket, which gives an overall ratio of 4.712 as against standard gearing of 4.845 (almost the same as 16 driving 38). It makes for a taller on road gearing, but compromises tricky off road riding especially with the big jump between first and second.
By Trev
Jon Hill wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:09 pm
Is there enough space for a 17 tooth gear sprocket? My Himalayan has a standard 15 tooth sprocket and a 36 tooth rear sprocket, which gives an overall ratio of 4.712 as against standard gearing of 4.845 (almost the same as 16 driving 38). It makes for a taller on road gearing, but compromises tricky off road riding especially with the big jump between first and second.
I'm running standard gearing and use (well at least bought) the Himmy for mainly off road riding and am reluctant to go for taller gearing for exactly this reason. Most of the green lanes around here are proper narrow, muddy, 1st & 2nd gear jobbies rather than tracks so don't want too large a gap between the two ratios. I've a few other bikes for road riding so am going to try and resist the temptation to 'improve' the Himmy on the road, for now at least.
By Andy C
Good to hear that the bike is easily capable of coping with 1 tooth more on the gearbox sprocket, have been wondering for a while whether to fit one or not.

Having looked under the grarbox cover there does not look to be a lot of room in there - would a 17 fit even if the motor could pull it?

As my bike is only used on the road I have ordered a 16 tooth sprocket from our hosts so I can look forward to some more relaxed crusing.
By hagis
I have a 16 tooth sprocket on my Himi, now does 70 in 4th cruises at 70 in fifth doing 5000 revs , still pulls well at low speeds only struggles a bit uphill into a head wind but will pull up hill in 4th gear in between 60 and 70 so for road work 16 is the one.
By Andy C
16 tooth arrived yesterday, fitted it in the evening.

I have an "essential" journey to make today so will report back.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles