This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By windmill john
Yes, I’ll be keeping the standard exhaust for a while, for a few reasons:

Can’t afford (justify) buying another silencer when the stock one is in good condition.
My wife was upset by the noise from Gupta, my 350 with a short, Indian, silencer.
Being Euro 4, I don’t want to spend even more money having to add a power commander because some after market silencer causes backfires, idling and other issues.

When this one rots, then at that time I’ll spend the money the on power commanders etc.
By PeteF
Easy to fit an oil pressure gauge, there's a blanked off drilling into the oil filter chamber. Just drill it out and tap it to take a fitting/ pipe/whatever.
But I take your point, once warmed up it would show very little pressure.
By Rattlebattle
Ah yes, I’d forgotten about that. I’m still not convinced it’s worth it though. I sold a Triumph Tiger 100 a couple of years ago (pre-unit). Mine had the telltale button on the timing case. The button would gradually pop back in at idle once the engine was warm, even after I had the timing seal conversion done. The older models used to have an oil pressure gauge in the tank but so many owners worried about the apparent lack of oil pressure when the engine was hot that Triumph ditched the pressure gauge....
I think I’ve come full circle on my UCE - I’ll just use the bike until it goes wrong, if it does, and stop wasting money on improved bits that probably aren’t really necessary. I’m definitely going to remove the Carberry crank life reduction plate, or whatever it’s called, when I do the 300 mile post rebuild service, including checking the cam backlash. Like I said, I’ve come to the conclusion they’re better left alone.
By PeteF
I take your point RB but at least a gauge would confirm decent pressure at start-up. As long as you realise it's going to drop right off when warm I think it might be useful. Probably won't get round to it though.
Whether the Carberry Vib. plate does any good is debatable but I can't see that it could be detrimental - your bike though.
What I HAVE done with mine is remove the daft bits that don't do anything (hardly) and are waiting to go wrong. Namely the PAIR valve, the Evap valve and the routing of the engine breather into the clean side of the air filter.
I've just realised how far of topic this thread is getting :D
By PeteF
That's interesting Haggis. I hadn't thought of making it removable to check oil pressure occasionally/after work on the engine.
I assume the guy in the video didn't leave the gauge there permanently.
By Rattlebattle
I’m surprised the oil pressure is that high TBH. Might be worth fitting a gauge in that case, though I won’t bother. There seems to be a lot of unnecessary clutter on the Euro IV models, all for the sake of lower emissions. If I were you I’d keep it all, just in case we ever get to the point where mods are not permitted. I think Covid 19 lockdown has caused a backlash around here against noisy bikes and cars. We have noise meters being used on a popular local bypass. I can’t say I’m surprised - I hear screaming fours ride by the road near our house every sunny weekend. It’s a 30mph limit but packs of bikes go by at 60 mph or more - idiots. I just wonder how long before we get emissions testing for bikes.
By windmill john
PeteF wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:08 am
What I HAVE done with mine is remove the daft bits that don't do anything (hardly) and are waiting to go wrong. Namely the PAIR valve, the Evap valve and the routing of the engine breather into the clean side of the air filter.
These are virtually always removed from old Honda trail bikes.
As I’m new to my Classic 500, have the standard exhaust and the bike appears run very nicely, I’ll leave all this Evap stuff on and if, down the line went for a different silencer when this one gave up the ghost, then I might remove it.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles