This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Daiwiskers
Two punctures in a few miles
Possibly a spoke
Or a piece of what ever caused the first one still in tyre
Could have been two punctures in the first place

Or just pure bad luck

Yesterday seemed to be a bad day Mrs Wiskers thinks she was caught by a mobile camera coming home from work

Here's wishing everyone a better day today
By Wheaters
Yes, I suspect whatever caused the puncture remained in the tyre. I didn’t remove the tyre at the roadside because I was working in far from ideal circumstances. Not too surprising that the second tube failed. But annoying!

Today’s jobs: Firstly, look why the van we used to rescue the bike suffered hot rear brakes (forgot to mention that bit last night). Secondly, now I’ve got the parts to fix the ride on lawnmower (it has a partly seized blade spindle and ruined drive belt), then mow the grass, which is now overdue, very long and it’s a big area.

However, just been told that 94 yr old mother in law’s bed has collapsed and I’m being asked to go and see if I can help. Only snag is, she lives thirty five miles away.

The Van, bike, the mower and grass will have to wait.....
By Wheaters
The jobs for others all sorted!

Back to the petrol tank problem.

I’ve removed it and it’s presently baking in the hot sun, upside down to allow the fuel vapour to drain out.

I’ve taken of the embossed type, stick on “Royal Enfield” lettering because I’m of a mind to fix it again If possible and then have it resprayed (in the existing Riviera Red). It’s looking a bit tatty.

Cheaper than buying a new tank.....have you seen the prices asked :o

Question: Has anyone here experience of using tank sealant? I’ve been researching their use and might go down that route.
By Daiwiskers
I used it to great effect on a sportster tank years ago

But haven't used it recently with the stuff that is called petrol these days

I am sure our hosts sell one that is good with modern fuel

I had to use it on a brand new tank that turned out to be porus (spelling) expensive mistake having the tank custom sprayed pearl blue then discovering it was leaking.
After sealing and respraying the bike went on to win at a few local shows
Sealing the new tank was easy enough just make sure you protect the fuel tap threads before you start

If you use nuts and bolts to loosen the rust in a old tank you can remove them easily with a telescopic magnet pick up tool

Sorry long post and I started rambling in the middle!

Buy from a reputable company I think you will be fine

Dai
By Adrian
I think the current products are good for up to 10% ethanol as a fuel additive.

SOMEWHERE in the garage loft I have a used low mileage 350 Electra tank, it's sound but will need a respray. It does of course run the risk of fracturing its rear mounts same as yours did, as with any Indian Bullet tank before they revised the mounts recently. PM me on the MBR forum if you're interested, it won't be silly money.

A.
By Wheaters
Adrian, thanks. I’ve looked at the various
sealant products for sale and I think in view of the vulnerability of these tanks I’m going to have to use one whichever one I fit :(
By Wheaters
In a fit of enthusiastic madness, I had another attempt to fix the tank again yesterday. I reckon the leak was from a pin hole on the seam. I ground it back, then welded over the area.

Having done this I could smell burning. I flipped up my welding mask and saw smoke. I then realised the front of my overall was on fire, right by my crotch. :o I’ve not moved so fast for ages! Thankfully the contents were not even scorched.

Good news is, the leak has gone. Bad news is, so has the paint. On the tank, I mean... I’ll go and ask my local paint sprayer if he can make up some Riviera Red; if so he can quote for the job. In the mean time I’ll test the bike some more to make sure it stays leak free.

Fitted a new inner tube to the back wheel, changed the tyre for a K70 lookalike. There was no indication why the tyre got punctured. I removed the rim tape, filed down all the spoke nipples, just in case one of them had caused the problem and fitted a new rim tape. Tested the bike. Rode for about forty miles (I always go further than I intend once I get on this little bike). It goes better than ever with the original downpipe and the reverse cone megaphone. It pulls to 70 easily enough, allowing for the usual speedo error. But it’s loud!
By papasmurf
Wheaters wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:26 am

Having done this I could smell burning. I flipped up my welding mask and saw smoke. I then realised the front of my overall was on fire, right by my crotch. :o I’ve not moved so fast for ages! Thankfully the contents were not even scorched.

It happens to the best of us:-

https://youtu.be/cMffzJj8_U4

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles