This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By papasmurf
Daiwiskers wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:38 am
Copper grease

As disc brakes have been mentioned I will bring up one of my pet hates

After watching I don't know how many YouTube videos showing people plastering copper grease onto the back of the pads

A light application of copperslip or similar on the back of brake pads is a LEGAL requirement in Britain.
By mart
best thing I ever used to fix handlebar grips, is spray paint from a rattle can. it also acts as a lube to slip it on. rotate the grip a few times and leave to set. to remove the grip without damaging it, slide a long thin screwdriver between the bar and grip and spray brake cleaner into the gap.
By PeteF
Why do people spend money on chain grease?
Look at chain manufacturers advice and use gear oil like they tell you to.
By Wheaters
papasmurf wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:42 pm
A light application of copperslip or similar on the back of brake pads is a LEGAL requirement in Britain.
Really? I'd be very interested to see where that legality is written down.
Following on from Daiwiskers: While at the chemists, get some talcum powder. It works well when sliding metal into rubber, like the Ammeter. And smells lovely.

Also regarding impressions when shopping, I once needed four model snails for a particular project. The lady looked at me and asked What? False nails? I should have been the third Ronnie....
By PeteF
papasmurf wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:42 pm
Daiwiskers wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:38 am
Copper grease

As disc brakes have been mentioned I will bring up one of my pet hates

After watching I don't know how many YouTube videos showing people plastering copper grease onto the back of the pads

New one on me too. Like to see your evidence for that.
Every set of pads I've ever fitted doesn't mention it.
By Daiwiskers
Don't believe everything you read on the internet
I might be a 8 year old with a big ego

Have I said RTFM

Keep them coming folks
By Daiwiskers
This is the one that I had in mind when I put the mostly in the heading

Not workshop related but it may just keep you on two wheels when you were about to give up

I was suffering with a eye problem when I took the bike's out it was worse on asbo 30 than the Harley
I was getting an irritation in one eye sometimes it would be the left sometimes the right it would irritate when riding then turn bloodshot after a half hour or so

It would only happen when I had been out on the bike's

My Ann was putting eye drops in for me then noticed that I had a few long eye brow hairs she plucked them out
A few days later I took the bike out problem solved no irritation no bloodshot eyes

Now I keep them trimmed and the problem hasn't returned

Last year a mate said I'm selling the bike I can't ride anymore my eyes are killing me everytime I ride
You got it he had big bushy eyebrows we got some funny looks that day in the pub plucking his eyebrows with a pair of pliers
He still rides but keeps his eyebrows trimmed
By Daiwiskers
Back to the workshop

Allen head screws can be a problem the heads seem to be soft and round out easily

The trick here is to clean out the hex holes, a quick blast with carb or brake cleaner, then dig out any muck with a jewlers screwdriver or a small pick, If you have socket type hex keys set them into the screw with a gentle tap
Hopefully they will then come out easily
By Daiwiskers
For jobs that you haven't done before

Have a look on YouTube there's a good chance that someone will have filmed that very job

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles