This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By John-M
PO51UHD, have you stretched the frame on yours?
FF0F004B-634E-4F84-BB78-F05F7324CE4F.jpeg
You can mount the engine higher up in the standard length frame if you trim the bottom front engine mount.
P1090282.JPG
By PO51UHD
Hello John-M
Not stretched, but bent (downtube pushed forwards). I wanted the lower engine position as this isn’t going to be a trials bike, more of a café racer. There’s a fair way to go yet!
Yours looks good!
Stephen
By Wheaters
Now that my 350 is more or less sorted, I’ve been working on my other project. It’s not a bike but it has involved a lot of spanner work as well as some design and manufacturing.

Attachments
4C6FBCF0-9333-4F76-8BA0-3DFE7E69AEAF.jpeg
8134E218-5550-4765-9921-A68FFEAB3556.jpeg
083BB734-6BEE-448B-993C-91DDF6B944DC.jpeg
By enfield_trials
Thanks Guys for pictures so far i love the pictures some interesting projects and learning ..

@John-M
i love the pictures you send with lovely background , your bike is my favorite one. well build

@stinkwheel
thanks for your reply, why so many pistons/ parts change ... i heard bullet engine failure due to oil starvation ?
what are weakpoints in your view and do you recommend any mods ?
By tribonnie
Had a few Enfields, have one waiting for refurb, but as my user name suggests have well and truely gone over to the dark side .....
Attachments
1E85D98B-9093-45BD-86A3-5398656E2B8F.jpeg
By stinkwheel
John-M wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:07 pm
You can mount the engine higher up in the standard length frame if you trim the bottom front engine mount.
Now THAT might be a generally useful thing to do for my trials bike. Not only more ground clearance but it will also cant the engine backwards slightly which will reduce the "angle of attack" on the carb as I go over a dropoff, maybe stop the engine conking out so readily.

I'd need to modify the gearbox frame plates on my Indian frame too though, but that's not a big/hard job.

Presumably you have to drop the engine down to get the inlet rocker cover off? Or file a couple of flats on the studs so you can get a spanner under the cover and remove them?
By stinkwheel
enfield_trials wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:21 am
@stinkwheel
thanks for your reply, why so many pistons/ parts change ... i heard bullet engine failure due to oil starvation ?
what are weakpoints in your view and do you recommend any mods ?
Indian pistons are made of elephant dung and melted down rupees so if you ride the bike hard, the piston crown eventually collapses and pinches the oil control ring. You can buy a forged piston but equally, you can buy 4 standard ones for the same price so I have tended to treat them as a service item.

In fairness though, one of them was taken out by the original head dropping its exhaust valve seat. The other was taken out by a valve failure.

I've also suffered from extreme levels of oil use for a long time now which leads to excessive coking and resulting damage to the piston crown.

I fitted a NOS meteor piston to it at the last rebuild. Seems to have hugely curtailed the oil useage and should be a lot less prone to crown collapse.
By enfield_trials
Thanks Stinkwheel for sharing your experience . that was helpful.
i like yr approach . in my dictionary enfield should remain cheap and cheerful where-ever possible,
By Oatmeal
tribonnie wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:13 am
Had a few Enfields, have one waiting for refurb, but as my user name suggests have well and truely gone over to the dark side .....
Is that a T150 Trident?
I had a '73 I was restoring. Had the motor apart and getting ready to order parts to rebuild it when a garage fire reduced the motor to a crankshaft surrounded in molten aluminum :(
My idiot brother in law (no more) caught the garage on fire.
Hans

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles