This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Satpal
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and i am from Canada. I purchased this 1965 Bullet 350cc two years ago. It has a 5 speed gearbox conversion. Bike was restored almost 10 years ago in India. Bike has only less than 1500 km since than. But last year engine lost its compression. I have disassembled engine and found some issues with it. Engine internals are like brand new except crankshaft which shows some marks of poor balancing.
Upon disassembling engine crankshaft has almost half inch side play on timing side. Is that's normal?(Timing pinion was still on it)
Connecting rod also has a side play.

Any suggestion on rebuilding this engine?

I am soon ordering following parts form hitchcocks
COMPETITION VALVE KIT (350cc)
HIGH COMPRESSION PISTON
PERFORMANCE CAMSHAFT
ALLOY BARREL
HIGHER CAPACITY OIL PUMPS
1mm COPPER GASKET
ROLLER BIG END ASSEMBLY with silver plated needle cage
FORGED STEEL CONROD

Thanks
Satpal
By PeteF
The 350 is a nice "soft" engine. If you put all those high performance parts on it you'll spoil it. Better to look for a 500 if you want more power.
Just my opinion.
By Daiwiskers
Let's try and save you a few Bob/bucks

Competition valves and guides, you will want to gas flow the head
Performance cams, try retarding can timing first (Paul Henshaw performance classics on YouTube Bullet whisperer on here has a good video on YouTube about that
Roller bottom end I haven't used silver plated bearings since the 70s on a production raced Suzuki GT500 I was spannering my mate riding
would I use a roller bottom end on a 350 bullet engine? no the floating bush is fine
Forged conrod in asbo 30 Paul fitted a polished Indian rod

Identifying the bike & engine may prove to be a problem the Indian restorers seemed to sell almost every bike as a 1965 most were bitsa bikes, not that this matters in the real world my own asbo 30 is a bitsa of the highest order

Will you spoil the 350 by tuning?
A mate rode mine he got off with a big smile saying he had never ridden a better 500 single he was amazed when I told him it was a 350 his every day ride is a modern rocket 3
Have a look at Paul's videos and see what you think

Cheer's Dai

Before I go I feel I should apologise to our host's but please remember the money he saves on engine parts he can spend on pretty thing's
By Daiwiskers
Do a search for asbo 30 on YouTube the later videos are the riding one's I think that the last one shows just how tractable a tuned 350 is

Royal enfield asbo 30 test ride to check if top end oil leaks stopped

I almost forgot to mention that you retard the standard inlet cam one tooth
I have redditch sports cams in asbo 30

Hope this helps Dai
By Daiwiskers
I can't remember what carb was fitted when the above video was done it may have been a mikcarb or a 389 monobloc
Also the bike is fitted with trials universal tyres (believe it or not I like them) as the bike is used both on and off road

Dai
By Satpal
Daiwiskers wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:19 pm
Let's try and save you a few Bob/bucks

Competition valves and guides, you will want to gas flow the head
Performance cams, try retarding can timing first (Paul Henshaw performance classics on YouTube Bullet whisperer on here has a good video on YouTube about that
Roller bottom end I haven't used silver plated bearings since the 70s on a production raced Suzuki GT500 I was spannering my mate riding
would I use a roller bottom end on a 350 bullet engine? no the floating bush is fine
Forged conrod in asbo 30 Paul fitted a polished Indian rod

Identifying the bike & engine may prove to be a problem the Indian restorers seemed to sell almost every bike as a 1965 most were bitsa bikes, not that this matters in the real world my own asbo 30 is a bitsa of the highest order

Will you spoil the 350 by tuning?
A mate rode mine he got off with a big smile saying he had never ridden a better 500 single he was amazed when I told him it was a 350 his every day ride is a modern rocket 3
Have a look at Paul's videos and see what you think

Cheer's Dai

Before I go I feel I should apologise to our host's but please remember the money he saves on engine parts he can spend on pretty thing's
Putting silver plated big end and forged steel con rod is also little to much for me even on price wise as well. My goal is to have strong and reliable engine. I push my bikes a lot that is also a another reason for me to have all those performance parts in it. I watched couple videos of paul, he used standard floating bush and aluminum con rod. I think i should send my crank assembly to paul or balancing work.

After watching pauls videos, i can say he is a master of these bikes. What is ASBO??
By Adrian
ASBO stands for Anti-Social Behaviour Order, something the UK authorities used to try and restrain young and sometimes not-so-young hooligan activities. Not always that effective.

Bullet Whisperer can explain the story of how the term became applied to a series of tuned Royal Enfield Bullets, but see if you can guess...

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles