This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Andy C
Was out on the Himalayan yesterday Temperature was around the 6/7 degree mark, according to the Himalayan Temp indicator it was 10 degrees warmer.

Have they positioned the sensor near to something warm? or are they just inaccurate?

I am pretty sure about the ambient temp being 6/7 degrees as our garden and car thermometers were reading between 6 & 7.
Mine is the same and i looked into this, its not the terminals its where the sensor is located as its getting heat from the engine. There is a lot about this on the ADV forum and there are also instructions from people who have relocated it. Once relocated it gives a more accurate reading.
By Andy C
burcotbullet wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:12 am
Mine is the same and i looked into this, its not the terminals its where the sensor is located as its getting heat from the engine. There is a lot about this on the ADV forum and there are also instructions from people who have relocated it. Once relocated it gives a more accurate reading.
I'll try and find the ADV forum. Strikes me that it would be better if the sensor was at the front of the bike protected from wind so that wind chill does not affect it.
By Andy C
Rushour wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:22 pm
My Himalayan temp gauge has always read 10 degrees higher than it actually is - I rather like this as it convinces me its not quite as cold as you feel !
Same as mine then - even I can take 10 degrees off the reading rather than re locate the sensor !!
Andy C wrote:Strikes me that it would be better if the sensor was at the front of the bike protected from wind so that wind chill does not affect it.
Doesn't work like that. The air temperature is the air temperature, windy or not. In fact, it's probably BETTER out in the wind, it'll respond to changes in the air temperature more rapidly.

WE get wind-chill because we're hotter than the air against our skin. On a still day, that air warms up from our body heat. On a windy day, the warmed air is constantly blown away.

There may be a very slight chilling effect from more rapid evaporation of water if it's both damp and windy.
The claims about moving the sensor can't be right. The gauge reads +10 before you even turn the engine on and it stays just +10 over with a hot engine, so engine heat is not the cause. It's just a glitch in the display software. -10 is easy to do and accurate enough.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles