This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By rustygman
I am considering moving to a more recent 500. It would be second hand and fairly recent (ABS with rear disc). What is the general consensus on these models. Are they more reliable than the old iron barrel models. My iron barrel (in the shed awaiting a rebuild) was actually fairly reliable despite being used all year in all weathers. On the basis that the new models have been around a while now I was thinking they may be a pretty safe bet. The bike would be used frequently for a short commute and I would hope to do some slow touring in the future (avoiding motorways). I do not have the money for the 650 and the himalayan engine didn't really do it for me on a test ride so an army green 500 is my probable choice. Your thoughts please.
By RoSy
Mine has been totally reliable in the 18 months I've had it from new, but I don't give it a hard time, it is used for touring and a few off road miles. It's totally standard and so far it has done what i've asked of it. Don't worry about motorways it will cruise along at 65ish quite happy.
By Jack the Lad
I ran my 2010 model for 30000 miles in 4 years. Mechanically it felt as good when I traded it in (for a Himalayan) as it did when I bought it, barely run in. It was let down by electrical problems caused by poor quality wiring and bad routing. Nothing that couldn't be fixed, but annoying nevertheless. I think later ones might be a bit better. I would happily have another one as a second bike, but the Himalayan is a better workhorse.
By Duke of Wybourne.
I had five years of trouble free running. Best to spend a little time going over the wiring etc. I left mine well alone otherwise. As said 65mph is quite comfortable, and the maintenance schedule is far less demanding than the old bikes. One thing, I never really liked the UCE bike as much as my old Bullets, and I don't really know why.
By rustygman
Thanks for the comments. Glad to hear that decent mileage is achievable as I was very dissapointed my 350 iron barrel main bearing went at around 21,000 miles despite proper care though I will rebuild it at some point. Also 65 is a better cruising speed than I would expect (is that better than the himalayan?) and in my view makes touring in europe a reasonable prospect (unlike my 350). Given the amount of low mileage examples cropping up I should be able to find a bargain. Jack the Lad, can you give me some reasons why the Himma is a better workhorse in your opinion as I have not totally ruled out a new one yet.
By Duke of Wybourne.
rustygman wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:28 pm
Thanks for the comments. Glad to hear that decent mileage is achievable as I was very dissapointed my 350 iron barrel main bearing went at around 21,000 miles despite proper care though I will rebuild it at some point. Also 65 is a better cruising speed than I would expect (is that better than the himalayan?) and in my view makes touring in europe a reasonable prospect (unlike my 350). Given the amount of low mileage examples cropping up I should be able to find a bargain. Jack the Lad, can you give me some reasons why the Himma is a better workhorse in your opinion as I have not totally ruled out a new one yet.
Apologies for jumping in. I've had several Enfields and all have been used for high mileage travel. I recently got a Himalayan, and although it's early days, from my own point of view , it's the best yet for my needs. It's more versatile as to what you can put on it, and I can easily travel 500 mile days without suffering fatigue. It is slower than the 500 UCE, and a previous 500 Iron Barrel, but I just find the bike suits me so much better. The only down side I've found is if you're doing a lot of riding in dirty weather, it's a pig to clean, nooks and crannies everywhere. On motorways I tend to sit "in amongst the trucks" . Saves idiot car drivers annoying you too much.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles