This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By twosheds
having experienced a rear tyre blowout last week I seek advice -yes /no - and if yes what make ?
By ericpode
If you are thinking of the stuff that is supposed to inflate a tyre after a puncture, forget it!
I have seen these cans used four times, never worked, just made a foul sticky mess.

I believe there is a goo you can put in before a puncture but I have no experience of this.
By Exile
There might be a difference between a blow out and a puncture. A blow out is pretty violent as a rule... No advice will help if it blew out. New tyre required. And road side assistance....
If it's just a puncture, I've tried the 'spray in' goop for a puncture and it worked for me. I usually carry a can of it and a small hand pump to inflate the tyre with. Just needed to replace the tube after getting home.
By windmill john
Okay, tubed tyres before I rant ;)

Taking the word blowout out of the equation as that sounds more serious than a puncture, I carry Slime and a hand pump.
Fantastic product which I’ve unfortunately had to use, but worked very well. In the case of a puncture, remove valve, remove nail etc. pour in the bottle, refit valve, spin wheel slowly for a while, pump it up.
Obviously you’ll need to make sure one of your tyres has a valve remover type cap.
Slime is a meant to get you home product, but I had it in for a few days whilst I got a new tube.

Right..... tubeless rant! :x
Please, for the love all that’s holy, don’t run with this in. Fine if you are going to keep the bike and don’t care what fitters think of you, it goes everywhere.
I’m sure it’s good, but as I fit my own tyres, I have experienced a PO who had used it and I spent more time cleaning up and removing corroded sealant....... grrrr.

For tubeless tyres, I just carry Sticky String. Look it up, also works a treat.
By twosheds
I had never had a rapid deflation in 45 years of riding bikes - I have new tyres on now - even if the gunk slows down the deflation I would be happy enough
By stinkwheel
I don't know where the hate about tyre slime in tubeless tyres comes from.

I've used both linseal and slime in tubeless tyres and it all lands up coated on the inside of the tyre carcasse. My local tyre guy fits them while you wait and I had a good look at the old ones. No mess and nothing on the wheel itself. He says you sometimes get some splatter if you're lazy and break down the beads on a pneumatic tyre changer without first removing the valve core.

As above, a blowout on a tubed tyre is usually either the tyre itself failing and the tube coming out through the side or the tyre slipping round on the rim ripping the valve out. No compounds you use in the tyre will prevent that. Keeping an eye on the tyres for cracks can help prevent the former. Making sure the tyre is properly seated on the rim and adequately inflated prevents the latter. I also stopped screwing the "nut" on the valve stem down to the rim. It does nothing useful (valve stems weren't threaded originally, they had a rubber sleeve on), the valve is going nowhere if it's inflated and if the tyre slips slightly, you can see the valve stem sitting at an angle and stand a chance of doing something about it. I think some people use substances to get rims seated which are way too slippy too. Green soap should do the trick in most cases, received wisdom at my end says washing up liquid is ok too but should be washed off again once seated.

Worth noting, after a recent experience with using puncture foam (in a tubeless) and finally reading the instructions properly that you need to ride on it to make it work. If you just sit there, it will inflate the tyre then all slowly piss out of the hole. If you carefully ride off, it seals the hole, it needs the centrepetal force to push the compound into the puncture. The punch-through sticky bungs are best for that job though. The dynaplug ones I use now are considered a proper repair and can be left in (and come in a tiny little applicator pack that fits under the even the meanest of Japanese sportsbike saddles).

As above, pre-treatments should help in the case of an ordinary puncture. Of the two I've tried, slime is nicest to use. I've also used linseal which is a good bit cheaper but seemed more of a faff to put in. As to effectiveness? Who knows. I didn't get a flat tyre with either but does that mean they worked or that I just didn't get a puncture?
By stinkwheel
Windmill John. I wonder if the previous owner of the bike you had put the stuff in then never rode the bike? That could well land up with it getting all over the wheel itself. As I said above, whenever I've used it, it all lands up coating the inside of the carcasse, none on the wheel.
By windmill john
It was a blue substance. some came all over me and some had hardened on the wheel. Also round the valve hole, took a little time to clean it away.
As I mentioned, I like Slime, but just haven't put it in before a puncture.
As both my current bikes have tubes, I just carry Slime bottles and pump just in case.

Oh by the way, he rode it, I bought it with 107,000 miles on the clock and I wish I hadn't sold it; R80RT.
By black fingernail
I use Puncturesafe in all my tyres, between us, SWMBO and I have 3 cars and 4 bikes.
The last tyres we changed were on the rear of her Z3, there were 2 nails in one, and a screw in the other. The tyre fitters had no problems removing the old covers, no mess, and it obviously saved me a lot of hassle.
By Jason Campbell
Tire fitters don’t like the foam and I’ve even had one refuse to work on it. The slime though they don’t seem to mind and it is generally regarded as superior to foam. I would chose the slime, at the same time I have breakdown insurance and what happens normally is I wait for them to come and get me and they take me to a tire fitter- since I am not doing a ‘round the world tour that works OK. Not that I have blown a tire in years (he says, just wait now) and that was a car which is a relatively minor inconvenience.

Like others have said, a blow out is rather more dramatic, I have had two (years ago when I was a bit racier, one on a bike [drag race off road] and one in a car motorway) and you will be going down the road unaided by the motorcycle which will be rapidly approaching you from behind. Scary- even in a car it is scary and very difficult to control potentially. In that sense we should be talking about the best body armour rather than the best puncture repair kit because no repair kit is going to solve a blow-out.
A puncture is in my experience a bit more controlled, as long as the tire was in good condition in the first place. Running tires to their limits increases the danger of blow-outs apparently (and logically) so despite the financial pain I always take the tires quite seriously, changing them earlier rather than late. Thankfully I do most of my biking in the summer so my tires seem to always need changing about the same time as I won’t be riding the bike so I can save up for tires if need be as I will probably lay the bike up. I normally have two bikes, something like a 125cc for the winter, even something like a Honda Step-Thru before they got expensive, plus a car (the car wins). Benefits of middle-age car owner I suppose and things will change now I’ve started riding a RE, I’m not putting 75-100HP through the rubber these days so things will be different.

When I was younger I carried a tube (even if tubeless) and have a few times just fitted a tube. Same restrictions, temporary low speed repair but I used to go to some strange out of the way places. Today I wouldn’t have the strength to get the tire on or off and have breakdown insurance and a 70 mile round trip is major for me.

One thing I have noticed with a few (modern) Bullet owners is they go for ‘traditional’ tread patterns. I get that it fits the look but I would rather have a modern tread for safety sake as much as the traditional tires look better.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles