This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By RoSy
Why won't my clutch hub just slide off the mainshaft, it moves back & forth about 3mm but comes to a definite stop, I have a puller, but at the moment I am reluctant to use it in case it pulls something with it. Surely it should just slide off. 2002 IB.
By vince
Hi, Strangely its not uncommon, I've had that situation on a lot of clutch centres. Just use the puller very slowly and it suddenly pops off. Its probably a tight spot. Vince
By Presto
I've never known a Bullet clutch hub to 'just slide off'. It’s a normal procedure to use the clutch extractor (there’s a clue there!) to remove the clutch centre – as the workshop manual advises. Not sure why you’d try to remove it without the extractor when you already have one there. :?
By RoSy
I was just wondering why if it could slide back and forth about 3 mm on on shaft, there didn't seem to be a reason for it not to slide all the way off, yes of course I will use the puller when I get back home, curiosity was teasing me while I've been away.
By papasmurf
RoSy wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:01 pm
I was just wondering why if it could slide back and forth about 3 mm on on shaft, there didn't seem to be a reason for it not to slide all the way off, yes of course I will use the puller when I get back home, curiosity was teasing me while I've been away.
Burrs and wear grooves. Whenever I have had to dismantle a motorcycle clutch, the always been a "happy hour," filing the groove and burrs smooth before reassembly.
By Wheaters
Nothing wrong with a bit of caution, though.

..says he who once learned the hard way and bent a magneto flywheel with a puller. I had to buy another complete bike to get another flywheel!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles