This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Chris H.
Has anyone tried the softer Continental GT 535 springs Item Number 92 661?
I fitted some last week and can't really feel any improvement!
Is the change subtle or maybe I have been sent the standard version by mistake.
Thanks
Chris H.
By Chris H.
sofiaspin wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:08 pm
Yes, put them on mine and concur, no noticeable improvement. I suspect they will bed in, but my bike is now sold.
Thanks for replying. At least I know that I have not been sent the wrong ones.
By Rushour
This all depends of course on the pre load settings - presume that you measured the springs before removing and set back to the same ?
By Presto
Not sure if it's correct that you can alter the firmness of the ride by preload adjustment. This seems to be an ‘urban myth’.

The fact is preload makes no difference to the tension – spring rate – of the springs and no difference to the firmness of the suspension. Adjusting the spring preload sets the ride height but preload makes no difference to the firmness of the suspension.

Preload adjustment will either shorten or extend the spring length. It's often said you can compensate a too soft or too stiff spring by preload adjustment but this seems to be a misconception. Increasing preload will rise the bike on its suspension, decreasing preload will lower it. Not alter the spring rate.

But the way springs 'work' is a very odd piece bit of physics.
By sofiaspin
Well I had mine adjusted for the softest setting, and then added the softer springs. The 'most-eased-off' setting on the preload lowers the back end very slightly which was useful given the bike is so tall. The softer springs are supposed to address the issue of the bike being well-known as a firm ride. They made no noticeable difference in my case. Anyway the bike is gone and I feel it is time - after 6 Enfields - to maybe try something else!
By Chris H.
PeteF wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:21 pm
You'll get a lot more effect from changing the oil to something thinner.
How would I change the Oil in the suspension units, are you able to explain what I have to do?
Thanks
Chris H.
By Chris H.
Rushour wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:33 am
This all depends of course on the pre load settings - presume that you measured the springs before removing and set back to the same ?
I have put the Pre Load on minimum but as already commented I don't think that would make much difference on a linear spring.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles