This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Duke of Wybourne.
Going back over the years I've bought my spares from Wilf Green, Watsonian and now from Hitchcock. Pre MotoGB I always found the shops that sold the old 350/500 Bullets carried normal running spares, cables filters plugs etc, plus I always kept my own cupboard of spares. So as I'm now getting some stuff together for my Himalayan it looks that the services of the site host are going to benefit, rather than the main dealers who don't seem to carry something as basic as a spark plug. Am I being an old git ? :shock:
By stinkwheel
Pretty universal and one of my major bugbears.

Nobody keeps stock any more. "I can order it in for you mate.". Even basic stuff like a chain which is pretty universal across most ranges. In fairness, keeping a set of Indian cables and basic crash-spares (levers, footpegs) in stock wouldn't break the bank.

Well. I can order stuff in myself from the comfort of my own living room and I'm certainly not paying shop prices for internet service. The reason I go to a shop is to have the thing I want NOW, the reason they can charge a premium is because they hold stock.

It's why I don't whinge about the ludicrously high price Halfords charge for basic fittings. The fact is they have that 35mm Jubilee clip/spade terminal/oddball screwdriver/tube of hylomar on a Sunday afternoon when my project has ground to a halt without it.
By Super45
There is a reason they dont keep it in stock, dealers have to buy it from the manufacturers before they can sell it out the the great unwashed with a horrendous markup so there is no point having money tied up in the stores dept that they may not sell for 6 months or more
By Duke of Wybourne.
Super45 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:16 am
There is a reason they dont keep it in stock, dealers have to buy it from the manufacturers before they can sell it out the the great unwashed with a horrendous markup so there is no point having money tied up in the stores dept that they may not sell for 6 months or more
We're talking about general low cost service items ?
By PeteF
I'm afraid it's the "Just in Time" system that pervades the whole of society now.
The up side is that everything is available (just about) next day but hardly anything over the counter.
By Duke of Wybourne.
PeteF wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:57 am
I'm afraid it's the "Just in Time" system that pervades the whole of society now.
The up side is that everything is available (just about) next day but hardly anything over the counter.
Well, I suppose I truly fall into the "old git" category then.:lol:
By windmill john
I’ll have a chat with Hitchcocks to increase the font size used on the forum for your benefit. ;)

Joking apart, I would like to go to a bike shop to buy a set of points for example without feeling embarrassed about not spending £1000 on a jacket, or changing my bike.
I’m not one just to go in to chat, just to buy.
Those shops are few and far apart, or possibly not there. I do get the economic issues, so I’ll stick with my online purchases for now.
By Super45
Duke of Wybourne. wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:54 am
Super45 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:16 am
We're talking about general low cost service items ?
Oh yes even down to service items, they will keep sufficient stock in to service customers bikes that have been booked in but will but not enough to cover walk in's off the street

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles