This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Christopher Havers
In the absence of a trip meter the main part of this cheap 'adjustable potentiometer' could serve to improve upon the function of the low fuel fuel warning light. The numbers are small and can only be discerned by close inspection, but the counter's base is 22mm in diameter and it weighs only 5gms, so it is neat and unobtrusive.

Only the part to the left side of the attached picture is required and e.g. this could be employed to record the last three digits of the odometer when the tank was last filled, or to predict the mileage when fuel would next be getting low.

The small oblong outer window displays a segment of a dial carrying numbers 0 to 9 to represent hundreds. When the knob is turned clockwise to advance the inner scale of 'tens' beyond the next '0' mark, a simple internal mechanism increments the 'hundreds' in the window. When the inner scale of 'tens' is turned anticlockwise past the previous '0', the 'hundreds' are decremented, and the lever just locks both scales by friction.

When using double sided foam tape to make it removable, the included plastic washer could first be glued onto the back of the meter to present a larger surface. Otherwise, under the edge of the counter's base there is a small locating pin of soft plastic which can be cut off to allow it to be glued to a flat surface. A dab of red or black paint might be added to help to show up the pointing groove formed between the dials.
Attachments
odometer.JPG
By tjupille
I 've long since gotten in the habit of filling up at every 100 miles, so no worries about running dry. For mileage calculation, I log the distance and volume in my phone (I use SimpleNote, but any notetaking app would work); I always have it with me and it only takes a few seconds.
By Andy C
Presto wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:15 pm
I tend to lift the petrol tank cap and peer inside – a method that served well for 50 years. Simple too. And cheap. Never failed me yet.
That has also been my method - works pretty well :D
By ericpode
The last three methods sound a little dangerous while on the move :o

I too like the idea of a momento of when I filled up. A raid on wife's knitting basket will produce a little plastic device on which the last two digits of the odo reading may be set. When those digits come round again on the speedo, 100 miles have elapsed and it is time to fill up.
By bigalfromwigan
I write my mileage on the receipt and compare it to the previous one when I get to my destination. As for when to fill, once on reserve, I have plenty of time/miles to get to a petrol station, so no anxiety.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles