This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13926
By Wheaters
ChrisD wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:05 am
A bit of a sidestep, guys, but on the same track - maybe you could comment.
I have seen bikes transported tied down, not on a stand, but with the ties in tension against the suspension. Someone once said this is not good for either forks or shocks as it promotes wear spots. Considering the short period of transport (on my 1996 Bullet, usually from nearby-to-home after the next breakdown) compared to the usual amount of time on the road or in the garage, is this true?
Cheers
ChrisD
Surely, it's no different to riding the bike over the same distance...
By Super45
ChrisD wrote:A bit of a sidestep, guys, but on the same track - maybe you could comment.
I have seen bikes transported tied down, not on a stand, but with the ties in tension against the suspension. Someone once said this is not good for either forks or shocks as it promotes wear spots. Considering the short period of transport (on my 1996 Bullet, usually from nearby-to-home after the next breakdown) compared to the usual amount of time on the road or in the garage, is this true?
Cheers
ChrisD

In essence no, if any large amount of "bounce " is left in the suspension the tyres wear on the contact patches and can wear though, seen it enough times on ford cars and vans that were not strapped correctly from the factory on the transporters and in most cases the tyres popped burst on a 2-300 miles journey
By Super45
Using google maps and knowing the majority of the route up it would be rather a nice run actually local roads as far as cirencester, pick up the foss to leamington, local roads to the A38 ( only a short stretch of duel carriageway past lichfield and burton ) then the A6 from derby up to carlisle ( i changes road number a couple of times but its still the A6) then the A75 from the border onwards

457 miles in total 11 hours 44 mins just fuel costs and a train fair down to work out and maybee a B&B for the night before the trek to work out would still come in cheaper than what you've been quoted so far.

be a good adventure to start your ownership with
By Christopher Havers
ChrisD wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:05 am
A bit of a sidestep, guys, but on the same track - maybe you could comment.
Cheers
ChrisD
Once I found fork oil leaking when a bike had been delivered. Luckily it settled down afterwards but I believe it resulted from this very practice, which might even have permanently damaged the seals.

I can thoroughly recommend IronHorse Bike Haulage (Ian Brown, based in Leeds) tel. 07908 550 253 who has twice provided me with very reasonable and an excellent service all round.
By PeteF
I always tie down with the suspension compressed. Surely this is the most stable method?
If you were transporting the bike this way a LOT there might be a problem (but I doubt it)
For occasional transport I can't see a problem.
By papasmurf
I had to transport my wife's "new" bike 250 miles, I purchased a set of straps designed for the purpose, (£30).

The instructions stated with someone sat on the bike to compress the suspension tighten the straps.

I did add a couple of ropes using lorry drivers "dolly knots" because I am a belt and braces type of person.
Despite to bike not being on a stand or having the wheels "trapped," I completed the 250 miles with no adjustment to the tying down being needed.
By Wheaters
I'm struggling to understand why transporting a bike with the suspension compressed causes damage to fork seals. The only reason I can think of is that the seals are perhaps sitting over the top part of the stanchions. If the latter are dirty or have damage such as the chrome lifting, that could do it.

From some experience of towing bikes on a trailer, unless the suspension is pulled down hard as it's tied down, it can be unstable over bumps in the road where the suspension naturally compresses and the tie-downs slacken off.

BTW, I've just been reading a magazine article where a company transported a bike to Italy for less than the quote mentioned by the OP......!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles