This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
You could set it up as per the original Redditch version. The breather tube just comes from the engine casing to the rear chain and the fine mist that comes out is just enough to lubricate the chain. The only time excessive oil comes out is if the tank has been overfilled, they seem to like being between half and three quarters full. This original set up has always worked well for me, no catch can, convoluted tubing, mayonnaise etc.
By John G
That's an idea Chris, thanks, I might try that. The same problem recurred today, but I checked after 7 miles, and oil was dripping out. I had brought a litre of oil with me, so I topped up, and rode home carefully. What puzzles me is that up till last week this had never happened, even on longish runs, so it is something gone wrong suddenly. Beginning to wonder if there is crankcase pressurisation :?
By John G
I finally got around to taking out the catch can today, and sure enough the duckbill was clogged with the goo, I checked the breather pipe again, ( I had flushed it through with paraffin a few days ago), but this time I rodded it through, as if cleaning a sewer pipe, and a load of " mayonnaise" came out. This stuff is tenacious, sticky, does not seem to be affected by normal solvents, and it can hide in breather systems, and cause havoc, as I found out. :twisted: I would always have associated this mayonnaise issue with e,g, Morris Minors that got driven a mile to the shops once a week, not with an air cooled motorcycle engine. You live and learn, I suppose.
By stinkwheel
Interestingly. My 350 completely stopped making mayo after I fitted a hitchcocks scavenge side pressure relief valve.

I mean from having to blow the breather hose through every second tank of fuel, even after protracted motorway runs to never having to do it again. At the time I was doing the Round Britain Rally and was averaging 150 miles a day.

I have no good explanation for why this should be the case other than the obvious oil being forced through a small hole in the presence of some blowpast moisture will form mayo over a certain pressure
By Adrian
The consensus seemed to be that the more the Indian factory messed with the old breather design, the worse it got.

John, does your engine breather come off the top of the oil tank or out of the crankcase on the left-hand side under the cylinder?

A.
By Presto
This ‘mayonnaise’ is a common problem with Bullet engines, especially in cold, damp weather, but may occur at any time. The emulsion is usually most obvious on the underside of the oil filler cap and in the oil filler neck and catch cans. The creamy substance is an emulsion of oil and water. Generally, on a Bullet, the water is condensation, forming on the cold inner crankcase surfaces. The circulating oil reacts with this moisture to produce this emulsion.

Certain brands of oil, because of their composition, seem to produce more emulsion than other brands.

In most instances the emulsion should cause no concern, even though it is unsightly and annoying. In fact, the emulsion is a sign that the oil is functioning for the protection of the engine and is far less damaging to the engine than the extremely harmful effects of so-called, ‘free water’.

Recommended ‘cure’ for the problem may be to ride the bike more often or switch oil brands. Used regularly and for reasonable distances the emulsion should disappear – heat and ventilation dissipate the condensation. Frequent oil changing is wasteful and will not solve the problem. The recipe for creating emulsion is to use the bike for very short distances in cold damp weather - a destructive habit for any internal combustion engine.
By John G
The breather hose comes from the oil tank, it bends through 90 degrees, and from there to the catch can via duckbill. The return pipe from the catch can feeds into the timing case. There is also a large bore clear pipe from the top of the catch can which leads to the air filter. Euro 4 compliant :?: Pressure release valve seems an idea, thanks Stinkwheel. :)
By stinkwheel
As I said previously. I think the mayo production in these later bullets is something other than simply condensation and lack of use.

Mine had been doing an AVERAGE of 150 miles a day (7 days a week) for 2 months solid, it had had two oil changes in that time, it was during a particularly fine summer and it was STILL producing sufficient mayo to choke a duckbill breather every couple of days.

The only possible source for the moisture was blowpast gasses, I'd have noticed if it had been raining a lot because I was camping the whole time.

I think forcing the blowpast gasses to go out through a tiny (6mm) hole and over the surface of the oil tank means a lot of vapour that would have gone directly out of the breather remains inside the engine. Then there is some other effect which is to do with the scavenge pump pressure that I don't understand.
By Adrian
2005 Bullets only had to be Euro 2 compliant. I'd remove the factory set-up in favour of what I mentioned in my first post, though Stinkwheel's suggestion of a PRV couldn't hurt.

A.
By Wheaters
I found a novel way of emptying the oil catch can today. I tipped the whole bike almost completely upside down. Unfortunately I was riding up a very steep and rocky Byway through an old quarry at the time. Most of it dripped onto the rear tyre before I could extricate myself from underneath it. :oops:

I subsequently found out that it's quite tricky riding a bike with no footrest on the side with the rear brake lever, especially off road. The 35 mile ride home was interesting, too, what with my left leg alternatively dangling or resting on the engine and the remains of the broken windscreen flapping in the breeze and the heavy rain.

Oh well. Another parts order needs to go off to Mr. H..... :cry:

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles