This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Presto
It could be a bit of a laugh to flag up which of our (often disparaged!) bikes from the past would out-perform the 535 GT in standard trim.

My 1965 200cc Suzuki T200 would top 80 anytime, as would the Honda RS250; while most of the 250 MZs I’ve been proud to own would scurry along at 75mph. I won’t go on - but I could!

PS AndrewA, yep, I’m a Shropshire lad.
By Beezabryan
The Suzuki RGV250 stroker I built of tea chests for my lad would leave the enfield for dead. On a test run on the M40 I shut off at a highly illegal speed and the bugger was still pulling
By Chris H.
Presto wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:30 pm
It could be a bit of a laugh to flag up which of our (often disparaged!) bikes from the past would out-perform the 535 GT in standard trim.

My 1965 200cc Suzuki T200 would top 80 anytime, as would the Honda RS250; while most of the 250 MZs I’ve been proud to own would scurry along at 75mph. I won’t go on - but I could!

PS AndrewA, yep, I’m a Shropshire lad.
Even my 350 Jawa was much faster on acceleration and top speed was 80 mph. But I guess this is not why we buy Royal Enfields :|
By KC1961
The only time I decided to "see what it'll do" it read about 85, this was a stock bike with the factory sports silencer. Since then I've fitted a PCV, K&N and a reverse cone megaphone (with a second baffle inside the supplied baffle to quieten it down a bit).
The bike now goes that wee bit better (still dog-slow, but noticeably better) so this morning I tried top speed again, about 93-94.
By stinkwheel
I've had 75 out of my Honda H100.

On our way to the Dragon rally in 2017, I was on my 350 bullet with PAV trailer and my friend was on a (reasonably heavily poked, SS head, high compression piston and such) ex WD BSA B40. We were heading down the M56 when we were overtaken by a 1964 Honda C90, also on it's way to the Dragon. We simultaneously thought "This is why the British motorcycle industry died.".
By Jamesy
Two points to bear in mind here.To ride any naked motorcycle at
a constant speed of 70 mph for any length of time is uncomfortable
and impractical.Buy a fully faired BMW tourer or a Honda pan if this is your goal.Second point buy far Royal Enfieldd biggest market Is India itself with less than 10% of their sales worldwide.
By sofiaspin
The GT 535 was quite deliberately designed as an accessible cafe racer modelled loosely on the original Conti, with a UK designed frame, and aimed at the UK retro market in the main. Not sure I understand the relevance about top speed, and Indian sales?

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles