This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Breezin
Any update on the lead time for orders? I ordered last week in Ireland (supplied via UK) and was told six weeks.

Also wondering if that first service isn't part of the package, i.e. free? Like these things use to be...
By MartinB
:D Well i've had my 650 Interceptor now for a month and covered 350 miles in fairly typical British (poor) :D weather.As its new I'm keeping to dry roads as I hate cleaning bikes now I'm older.I'm really impressed with all aspects of the bike.I had no problem ordering and there was little delay in the delivery.I got a great part ex on my old KTM and even had the bike delivered to my door at no cost.I will need to book in for the first service soon and then I can start to build up the miles. Can't recommend these bikes highly enough!
By RocketRR
7 highest bike sales in the UK this year so let's hope it pushes the other new designs thru as well.

My only worry is the low service miles and the potential high service costs during the warranty period.

Still looks a spot on bike.
By papasmurf
Can you expand on the high service costs at low mileage and the cost during warranty, because I am puzzled by that.
There is not an Enfield dealer anywhere near me, and despite the propaganda you do not have to use an Enfield dealer to carry out services other than the first one, during the warranty period. That applies to any make of motorcycle or car.
By RocketRR
Yes of course remember not everyone is competent too or may not want to service their bike during or after the warranty period.
Some will of course but the recommended and required duration during warranty is every three thousand miles and that includes valves and filters and fully synthetic oil due to the slipper clutch. Whoever does it you still have to buy everything and spend the time.
It's also on the high tax rate if you worry about as it's a 650cc, I don't but some do of course as 90 plus quid for the odd day out adds up.
Remember not everyone is a home mechanic or a workshop lover but in the end and thus my comment the Interceptor could be a costly toy.
By Enfield_Vega
Not true of the oil change and valve checks both of which are at 6k. Servicing at 3k really is an inspection which seems geared toward users who do no maintenance themselves or possibly live in harsher environments than the UK.
Oil changes and valve clearances for most owners will I suspect be an annual thing. I'm sure if you talk to your dealer they'd confirm an annual service or 6k should servicing suffice in UK conditions.
By papasmurf
RocketRR wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:13 pm

Remember not everyone is a home mechanic or a workshop lover but in the end and thus my comment the Interceptor could be a costly toy.
A lot depends on the cost of spares, and service parts.
If the 650 turns out to be as reliable as the Himalayan being used by "Itchy Boots," on Youtube, not many sprares will be needed. (Why RE are not sponsoring the lady is a bit of a mystery.)
By Boxerman
papasmurf wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:11 am
If the 650 turns out to be as reliable as the Himalayan being used by "Itchy Boots," on Youtube, not many sprares will be needed. (Why RE are not sponsoring the lady is a bit of a mystery.)
Well, watching her videos has certainly made me want to get one!

Frank
By Wheaters
I've been working on bike and car engines since the early 1970s and I don't remember another which "officially" needed the valve clearances checking as often as this one apparently does. Hopefully it will prove to be just a "check" rather than a "check and adjust" and people can be a bit more relaxed about it with experience.

Unlike my "Home market" 350 Bullet which had a very soft exhaust valve seat from new and recessed so quickly that after 100 miles or so there was hardly any compression worth talking about and it would just die then be impossible to start. Which is probably why it had 4 previous owners and only 3,000 miles from new before I bought it! I got very used to adjusting the tappets at the side of the road and could do it in about five minutes... at least access is so easy on that engine :roll:

Now it has a hardened valve seat and one of Mr. H's stainless exhaust valves = problem solved! I haven't had to adjust it in 5,000 miles and when I checked them a couple of weeks ago it's still as I set it last year.
By papasmurf
But how often does valve clearance need to be checked according to Royal Enfield?
(My BMW K75S and Squire ST1 has the shim and bucket clearances checked annually and but they have only needed one adjustment in 103000 miles.)
(My Electra X (ish) has only needed the tappets adjusted once but they are checked annually as well.)

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles