This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Cov Lad
I am hoping to visit Hitchcock's tomorrow to buy a set of Tappet Spanners. Are there any other essential / weird Enfield only tools that I may need and find only at Hitchcocks? I do have a large collection of my dads old spanners so I will probably have the regular stuff. I hope someone is still awake!
By Wheaters
I'm awake - only just!

I ground down the sides of a couple of old spanners so they were narrow enough to fit in the tappet chest.
By papasmurf
What version of Royal Enfield, because some need different spanners for the tappets.
By Wheaters
Mine is a 350 iron barrel, Bullet Electra - Indian home market version.

I've collected many "spare" spanners over the last 45 years or so since I rebuilt my first two wheeler. The above bike has a strange mixture of nut and bolt sizes (some metric, some Imperial and even some that seem to be somewhere in between) so I'm glad I have a good selection.

Edit: I think you possibly meant "Cov Lad's" bike...
By Adrian
Apart from a good mix of Whitworth and metric, if you need to take the head off the Electra-X engine for any reason you will need an extended/deep 12mm socket. For some reason the cylinder studs are over-length and a normal 12mm socket won't reach the nuts properly, as the tops of the studs get in the way. 50mm socket/ring spanner for the gearbox sprocket nut if you have to remove the sprocket on the Electra's 5 speed gearbox, someone else will advise the correct size for the corresponding nut on your '55 Bullet.

A.
By Cov Lad
£21 for 3 spanners was made slightly bearable when I bought a universal wrench claiming to replace 48 tools into 1. I'm hoping this will be Electra XXX friendly. I will keep my expensive spanners for best and follow Wheaters advice and get the grinder out.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles