This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
It's a bit more than banning the sale of motorcycles. The term vehicles includes, cars, vans, lorries, etc. It's a much bigger picture.

Personally, I quite fancy an electrically powered bike (provided the power is produced with zero emissions); all that torque from the word go. No valve clearances to worry about, no carburetters to tune. Anyway, survey completed while the room temperature is 36 deg C; apparently could be 40 deg C tomorrow.
rattonshaw wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:47 pm
It's a bit more than banning the sale of motorcycles. The term vehicles includes, cars, vans, lorries, etc. It's a much bigger picture.

Personally, I quite fancy an electrically powered bike (provided the power is produced with zero emissions); all that torque from the word go. No valve clearances to worry about, no carburetters to tune. Anyway, survey completed while the room temperature is 36 deg C; apparently could be 40 deg C tomorrow.
For what I use motorcycles for an electric motorcycle is totally useless. I live in a rural area. It will cost an arm and a leg put the chargers in my garage. (It would because of local regulation need underground cabling laid from my home to my garage and frankly I cannot afford to replace my current two solo motorcycles and two sidecar outfits which have decades of life left in them.
I take a nihilistic view on this, and here's why. Three associates of mine, I won't call them friends, are very vocal on such matters, continually ranting and raving and blaming everyone, but we do all have one thing in common. By the time such legislation is implemented all of us will be either six feet under, or scattered to the winds. Let the next generation worry, this one's made a big enough mess of everything, I'll get out and ride my bike as long as I'm able, and enjoy it. 8-)
papasmurf wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:40 am
Duke of Wybourne. wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:43 am
By the time such legislation is implemented all of us will be either six feet under, or scattered to the winds.
Its implementation is imminent.
Well I'll cope with it in the same way I've managed to cope with worse things throughout my life.

Interesting reading the header.
"L-category vehicles: ending sales of new non-zero emission models"

Where's the bit saying banning the sale of current registered vehicles.?
Adrian wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:53 am
That's the point, it's a proposed ban on the sale of NEW petrol and diesel vehicles, as stated in the title.

A.
Exactly. NEW being the word omitted from the thread title.
Quote.
"Government consultation about banning the sale of motorcycles with petrol engines"
Where is "NEW" in that title.

This is just typical of "internet hysteria". As long as we can run old bikes, it's good for a number of reasons, let alone the forum host who provides such an excellent service on keeping old bikes alive.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles