This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Rob Blake
Hi everyone. I've noticed that my 2007 Electra X doesn't spark whilst the starter button is depressed only when released and engine still turning. I'm assuming this isn't right. Any ideas please?
By Wheaters
The TCI ignition system needs a minimum voltage before it will fire. A figure of 7 volts is quoted in the manual for my 350 Bullet Electra. This isn’t a major problem because it is kickstart only. If your battery voltage drops below this whilst under load from the starter motor, this could well be the cause.

My Honda CB750 needs a very strong battery for it to start from cold. It exhibits the same symptoms that your bike has and unfortunately doesn’t have a kickstart so once it’s cranked and not fired for more than a few seconds it’s time to get the jump leads out.
By Nitrowing
Wheaters wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:37 pm
The TCI ignition system needs a minimum voltage before it will fire. A figure of 7 volts is quoted in the manual for my 350 Bullet Electra. This isn’t a major problem because it is kickstart only. If your battery voltage drops below this whilst under load from the starter motor, this could well be the cause.

My Honda CB750 needs a very strong battery for it to start from cold. It exhibits the same symptoms that your bike has and unfortunately doesn’t have a kickstart so once it’s cranked and not fired for more than a few seconds it’s time to get the jump leads out.
The GL1500 GoldWing is notorious for this - there's some very involved rewiring solutions or a lithium battery!
By ericpode
I had exactly the same symptom Rob. I always use the elec. starter and the engine would never fire until I release the button.
Single figure money bought a little regulator board from China, anything over about 3.5 volts at the input gives 12v out. Fed the ignition with this and problem solved.
I expect a new battery would have helped but this was a lot cheaper!
By Rob Blake
Hi Eric
Can you give me any more details please? I'm still constructing this bike and I might find this starting issue a problem. Also I think Hitchcocks might do some sort of improved wiring?
By Wheaters
Rob Blake wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:00 pm
Hi Adrian. Yes I think it has. Strange it doesn't effect the kick starting
Have you tried cranking it on the starter motor with a set of jump leads on the battery? It it sparks then, that would show that it was low battery voltage related.
By ericpode
Go on eBay and search for "Boost Buck DC-DC adjustable step up down Converter XL6009"

Or look at item number 20200492062
I mounted one of these in a little box, set the output to 12v with the control and fed the ignition with it. There are many sellers of these, priced from about £3 - £8
Attachments
DSCF8116.JPG
DSCF8116.JPG (41.18 KiB) Viewed 4756 times

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles