This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13926
By OilyFingers
£7,500
London
U.K.

I will leave it advertised here for a week or two. if no interest then it will go on Ebay. There have been a couple up for sale recently at £9,000 or more. I think that is too much and I do want to sell it not have it hanging around for sale for months...

I am rationalising my motorcycle collection and the time has come to sell my 1965 Interceptor Mk 1
This is a fairly rare thing, a genuine UK bike, not re-imported. Mostly completely original down to its leather buckle wiring straps!
I bought it from the original owner in 2015.
He bought the bike new from Comerfords of Thames Ditton in April 1965. In eighteen years he put just over 30,000 miles on it before laying it up in 1983 covering it in oil and grease.
I bought it as a non-runner but got it running reasonably easily.

I have done the following:
Fitted pair of new Amal monobloc carbs.
New throttle cables.
New front brake cables
New upgraded front brake shoes, front brake now surprisingly good.
New Mk1A/Mk2 style handlebars
New petrol taps and pipes
Blanked off magneto drive hole.
Fitted Electrex World ignition and lighting system. Needs no battery for engine to run. Charges small 12v battery for lights/horn.
New dual output coil.
New tyres and tubes.
New rear shocks.
New chain
Given it a good clean and polish but not repainted anything.
LED tail/stop bulb
New rear brake switch
New plugs and HT leads.
New Motobatt battery.
Fitted a "Thorspark" electronic ignition to the magneto. This worked and I was able to run the engine which is how I know the original alternator works but then decided to go for the Electrex World solution. I have removed the magneto completely. The Thorspark is included.

I removed but kept the following original parts all included:
Original Lucas magneto (no spark, decided to use Electrex World, I'm not a fan of magnetos)
Original Lucas alternator (this worked)
Original Horn
Original coils
Brake light switch
RH and LH Amal monobloc carbs. The originals were worn after 30,000 miles with no air filters. They also leaked horribly. I think they are scrap but kept them anyway...
Girling shocks
Original "steerwell" adjustable handle bars... weird.
Huge front and rear crash bars
Massive rear rack.

Also included:
Original owners manual and a parts list
Original sales receipt
Re-print service manual
"The Mighty Interceptor" book

The bike runs well, its first real run was from London down to Cornwall which was about 300 miles. This bike is happy on modern motorways and will cruise at 60-70 easily. I had it up to an indicated 80 once but out of respect for its age I generally cruise at about 60-65.
Starting is a "knack" its best on the centre stand because monoblocs dont like being at an angle. A modest tickle and 2 kicks with a very little throttle get it going.
I try to run it on Super Unleaded but when I have not been able to get that it seems fine on regular unleaded.
There is no ignition switch on this, there never was. There is a small switch I added in the back of the tool box to supply 12v to lights and horn. Kill button on the bars.
I dont think the engine has ever been taken down but it runs fine.

I had a plan to cosmetically change its appearance to later Mk1A / Mk2 look.
To do this I bought a Mk1a/Mk2 style chrome tank from India. This is included in the sale and I have a couple of pics of it on the bike. I have to say it does look good.
This tank will need a new through bolt at the front and a new set of fuel pipes making up, the taps are in a slightly different position compared to the original.
I also have a pair of hardly used Mk2 downpipes but not the silencers. I have not fitted these.

For more information here is my blog:
https://reinterceptor.wordpress.com/

More pics here including a few with the chrome tank in position:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/afuller18 ... 644300981/

YouTube videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W46kg5k0Bw8

Its registered in my name at my address.
The bike is located near SE19 1SP in South London.
You could ride it away but wold need a car for the couple of boxes of parts that are with it.

Contact me on
660476 by test or call.

Or adam@adamfuller.co.uk

By Adrian
I hope someone here will take it on, put it on ebay too cheaply and it will surely be back on there in a few weeks with a juicy price-hike. :o(

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles