This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13926
By olly

Hi, I've currently got a 1970 BSA A65 Thunderbolt.  It's been a great place to start and I've ridden it a lot but after doing my research I'm hooked on the idea of getting an Interceptor Series 2.

I'm based in Oxfordshire, UK and from what I gather tvirtually all those bikes went over to North America and Canada.

Do you have an tips please where and how I can track an Interceptor down? If it means importing one then that's always a possibility.

Thanks Olly

By 1950s Bulleteer
I think quite a lot of them ahve already found their way back here Olly. There was a rather nice looking one for sale by our hosts a while back. Ithink you just have to keep nosing around popular online auction sites and other places like that. It's possible to set up alerts on many sites so you will be informed when one comes up for sale.
By olly

Thanks for the reply, I'm browsing oldbikemart and classic bikes every month.  I've not seen one on ebay for a loooong time.

It would be great to hear peoples' experience on prices too.  Ultimately the actual figure isn't too important, I'm already braced for "quite a lot", it's about ensuring that if I'm ever forced to sell I'll get the money back.

Thanks Olly

By RancidPolecat

There is a mk2 Interceptor in OBM this month priced at £4750. It needs a few bits but I'm sure our hosts could help you out with those.

Prices for the Mk2s are usually around the £7K mark for a bike in good rideable condition but I've seen them advertised for up to £9k.

By Mark M

Olly, if you heven't already you should join the web group for Inter Owners and fans, Royal Enfield Interceptor Owners Group, groups.yahoo.com/group/RE_Interceptor/  We are having a Rally near Devizes in June, 26 Inters and many other Enfield Twins as well as RE powered Berkeley cars at the last one. Details on the site, join up and introduce yourself! 

REgards, Mark 1966 Mk1 

By olly

..ahh....my OBM digital subscription has expired :(

could you post the phone number please for the one that's advertised?

Will definitely aim to come in June.  I saw a post about last june earlier today. That would have only been about 10 miles from where I live.  Back then I didn't know there was such a thing as an Interceptors though.

thanks Olly

By RancidPolecat

Hi Olly

Phones nos. 01384 566689, 07508 204963.

Ad says it's an ex Californian bike 1969 with matching numbers but missing exhausts, footrests,chainguard and rear mudguard & support.

Let us know how you get on.

By olly

Cheers I'l call them tomorrow. Dudley's not a million miles away either.

I'm guessing the Interceptors are like my BSA A65 in that there's non-export model with a bigger tank and different bars right?

The small export tank on the BSA doesn't quite look right and the high rise bars definitely don't suit it but they seem to look a lot better on Interceptors.

I wonder what sort of range do you get on the small tank since the main reason for getting this bike is some decent touring of the UK with less vibration and more occasion then the BSA?

By RancidPolecat

The small tank gives a range of around 90 miles, depending on how heavy you are with the right hand, so you may have to plan your route well if you wanted to use it for touring. The seat hump can be a little restrictive for carrying a pillion too.

The high bars are also a bit of pain when travelling at over 70mph as you have the aerodynamics of a barn door.

The UK spec bikes with (much) larger tank and flat bars would be a better proposition for touring but these are like hens teeth.

The Interceptor is a very under-rated bike, if you can get one I don't think you'll be disappointed.

By mickm
Hi Olly . Sorry to be a damp squid. BUT this one is sold. If not I should get a call from the owner as I talked to him on Friday, and will hopefully be able to have a look at it next week. Mickm

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles