This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13926
Why the sudden interest? It's sold to a gentleman that builds award winning tritons and cafe racers after telling him about the bike he came to view and made an offer he has now been informed that he can have the bike and all is well I'm very sorry to have bothered everyone here with this awful illegal bike that no one would ever want.
"A grey import is not illegal" correct , however it is a problem to insure. non UK model , no spares availability , try a quote online , see if you can ACTUALLY find your model listed?

glad its sold quickly ,
By Durham Tim
I don't think anyone was questioning the legality of the actual import!
I was only giving my own perspective on the pitfalls/expense of getting it through the SVA test and actually getting it on the road...an experience I wouldn't be in a hurry to repeat again!!
By Barry_Q
I was lucky when I Registered my 500 Lightning. Since it was over 10 years old (sat in a shed since it was imported for 11 years), it didn't need the MSVA test. Insurance can be a problem. The 535 Lightning is recognised on the likes of Comparethemarket.com but the 500 Lightning isn't. I don't know about the 350 Thunderbird. It's a fairly popular bike (as Enfield grey imports go), so Insurance doesn't present much of a problem. Parts can be tricky. Some detective work is needed in figuring out what other Enfield models used the same part. Unique parts (tank, clocks, seat, etc) would have to come from India. I have bought parts from India (as our Hosts didn't stock them), so getting unique parts isn't hard. It's just extra hassle. At the end of the day, Registering a grey import is a pain in the butt. I've done it once. I'm not in a hurry to do it again!
By Midge
Without wishing to add fuel to the fire, if I was a potential buyer I would be looking for the seller to register the bike, MOT it (whether it needs it or not), and have it ready to go before purchase. That done, it may be an attractive proposition.
I asked that in my first reply , however did not get the correct answer , just I,ve got this paperwork and that paperwork. I seem to recall someone selling a few older unreg bullets on ebay a few yrs ago. I do know that my local dealer (like others) put all the unreg pre euro 4 (?) bikes on ebay quickly before the cut off date. Barry_Q made appoint about bikes over 10 yrs old not needing SVA etc , however this bike is not 10 yrs old yet!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles