This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13926
By Roobarb
A few weeks ago barely 10 miles from home a guy pulled out causing damage that has been deemed a category N write off.
I rode the bike home...handlebars slightly off true. Headlight and extender ring damaged. Front brake master cylinder scratched but working. Head bearings stiff at extent of travel both left and right...(was like that before crash!). Front mudguard dented/scratched. Right foot rest bent.
No damage to tank or rear end as panniers took the rear sliding impact.
Converted to amal carb, stainless exhaust, givi rear pannier rack.
3300 miles
2015 Tan colour
If anyone is interested I can send photos. Insurance company needs a quick response as to whether I want to purchase the bike back.
London Based £1200..obviously no warranty implied of given.
Regards Emma
By Haggis
I would buy it back if it was my bike. Very little cost to replace the damaged parts.
You also have that lovely, now unobtainable, Motad exhaust. Quality.
By Roobarb
Thank you to those taking interest in the bike but I was in need of a speedy decision for the insurers and I didn't feel I could in all honesty sell someone a bike that had unseen damages. I've decided to take that full book value and the salvage dividend.

Thank You all once again. Emma

Now I have to see what my broken finger is worth before considering my options. I just know I was very lucky!
By GSSTEVE
Hi Emma, glad you are ok, don't get railroaded by your insurers to make rash decisions and make sure you are paid out before the bike goes to salvage, you still own the vehicle..
I have seen some of my customers motorcycles written off, not paid out and then they appear on e-bay from a rather large salvage company Nr Staines. None were aware of this practice, your insurer will sell on to the salvage company before paying you.
Be sharp with your insurer, if the bike has left your property you need your agreed pay out. End of.
Take good care, hope you get another, they are addictive..
Steve.
By GSSTEVE
Emma, and another thing, do not accept this ' book' value' thing, current market value is to put you back to a position where you were before the accident. So have a look at biketrader to see how much a bike would cost of a similiar age, mileage and condition. This gives you the 'current market value'
Rant over, i just distrust insurers and they're valuing techniques..
Steve
By OldBoy67
Do not feel pressurised by the insurance company. I’ve never met an insurance company yet that is falling over itself pay out money. In my experience Cat N can be a bit of a joke. My 1960’s classic RE (with agreed value of thousands) was written off Cat N despite the damage being cosmetic and minor (it was just knocked off its stand whilst parked). I could not believe when it was categorised as a write off (and I think this may be the same company at Staines referred to above) but they have a very high labour rate which will quickly renders repair uneconomic. I bought the bike back (despite pressure not to do so by both the loss adjuster and the insurer – which made me suspicious) and repaired it myself - to a very high standard I might add. When I finished I ended up with £3,000 cash profit in my pocket.

Do the math, consider the aggravation factor in repairing and then make an informed decision. Tell the insurance company to wait - their deadlines are purely self imposed.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles