This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13926
You can always strip the bike back to the frame, and get it checked at a frame straighteners. Some thing only need to be a fraction out for the headstock to "bind." (Also sometime headstock "binding" after a shunt can be cure by slacking off all the fork mounting bolts, and retightening them.)

If the insurance company went £1200 for you to buy the "wreck," the are taking the mickey.
By Adrian
I'm inclined to agree with OldBoy67, don't get ripped off.

Another very important issue, if you **do** let the insurers write it off, make darned sure you notify DVLA using the relevant part of the V5C that the vehicle has been scrapped.

A few years ago (before we met) my wife had to write off her car, but not being to clued-up in these matters she assumed it had been broken when in fact it was still physically drive-able and sold on, but with her still listed as the registered keeper, first she knew was when a bailiff came knocking at the door with a court order for the collection of unpaid parking fines.

A.
By OldBoy67
A Cat N write off is not recorded by the DVLA on their database. Assuming the salvage is "bought back" the DVLA do not require that the owner (or insurance company) return the V5 for marking it as a cat N write off and you are free to tax it and use on the road subject to repairs and the usual checks for roadworthiness plus MOT (if not a historic vehicle). Cat N is recorded on the MIB database, but this should not be a barrier to getting insurance. In fact the same company that wrote my bike off insured it again once I had finished the repairs!

If the vehicle is Cat N and the insured party does not claim the salvage it then becomes the property of the insurance company. From what the DVLA told me the rule is that it is then the responsibility of the insurer to notify the DVLA of the transfer of ownership when the V5 is surrendered to the insurance company.

The above is what the DVLA told me via email when I queried the procedures, but this is slightly contradicted by the actual instructions on their webiste which instruct you to send the vehicle log book (V5C) to the insurance company, but keep the yellow slip 2 (V5C/3) from it. And then tell DVLA the vehicle has been written off (https://www.gov.uk/written-off-vehicle).
By RocketRR
My son was offered market value for his car by Admiral insurance which we argued with them as it was half the value. In the end we went to the free ombudsman service and they upheld the complaint and they had to pay out more than double their offer plus compensation
:D

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles