This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13926
By DickC
For sale, my 2005 Electra X, 16750 miles with a long MOT.
Front forks fitted with Hitchcocks springs for a nice ride.
The cylinder head has a decompressor fitted as recommended by Adrian and this mod is so much better than the valve lifter arrangement that's standard.
I removed the electric starter and sprag clutch as it twice made an terrible noise, although it all still worked ok I preferred to kickstart it.
Avon Road Rider tyres, fitted with a rack and there is a top box and a screen with it also.
The lean burn stuff was removed by previous mature owner who fitted a sensible not too loud silencer.
I am reluctantly selling the bike as I need the room and have a small bike for the odd club run and another big bike as an "ongoing project" ...
£1750 ono
I am near Biggleswade in Bedfordshire.
Having "issues" trying to upload a photo !, but can email pictures if required.
Attachments
P1010681.JPG
P1010681.JPG (5.49 MiB) Viewed 2694 times
By Adrian
Picture seems to have uploaded just fine, same vintage as my old Electra-X...

Glad the decompressor mod worked out for you, if used for stopping as well as starting it ought to prolong sprag clutch life for any buyer wanting to re-fit the starter motor.

You say the lean burn stuff was removed by a previous owner, but that looks like the original Mikarb CV29 carb and lean-burn exhaust pipe, although it has got the Watsonian-Squire silencer on it. Did he remove the inner restrictive bits of the pipe and re-jet the carb? If not. it's still lean-burn. ;)

A.
By DickC
A good point Adrian, I bought this bike through a friend who was selling it for the wife of the owner who had died of cancer, all I know is that my friend knew the bike and its previous owner who was a retired engineer and did things properly, so I have to assume that all is ok. It does sound nice, not really noisey and I think it pulls cleanly and goes well, I did once think of putting an Amal on it but to be honest I think its goes well enough for me.
I dont really want to sell the bike but I need the space especially as I have acquired a Norton 99 that needs a little work, sadly this too was a friends who has died,... bit of a theme here !... When things get back to somewhere near normal,.. when, I do spend perhaps too much time with my mate helping him blow all his money racing a Rob North triple, so I need to sort things out a bit.
Yes a decompressor is better than the original set up if you want to kick start it, a good mod.
By DickC
As I said Adrian I have left the bike as I bought it because it runs well, it was the ride I didn't like, so I replaced the fork springs as I had done with a 350 previously, a great improvement for me.
There is a blanked off fitting on the cylinder head that I assumed was to do with the lean burn system, an EGR type arrangement presumably.
Looking at the reg document I have had the bike nearly 7 years and only done about 3000 miles trundling round the country lanes and the odd club run , bit of a waste really, but enjoyable none the less.
By Adrian
The blanking plug would indeed have replaced the feed from the Pulse air Valve, part of the Euro 2 emissions compliance gear.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles