This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13926
By Rushour
Hi - In answer to the enquiry via email - sorry but my reply bounced - but I can get a 12 month MOT test on the bike - our local mot station is open with restrictions.
By Adrian
I down 4 up is the native gear-shift pattern on these. You can get right-foot shift conversions in either 1 down 4 up or 1 up and 4 down.

A.
By Wheaters
The difference in gear shift pattern is achieved by fitting a different cam plate. If you buy the Hitchcock's right foot conversion the "1 up 4 down" cam plate comes at extra cost.

I DIY converted mine for about £50 which was the cost of a new bronze bush and an oil seal to fit the OE gear change shaft which I modified, a blanking plug for the original aperture and £25 for milling out and reaming the original case to fit the shaft. I was brought up riding BSAs so I was happy to leave mine "1 down, 4 up".
By Adrian
Same here! The rest of the world has a left foot 1 down 4(or 5) up pattern. The Chennai factory had a left-foot 4 speed box for the US market, but I gather it's pretty horrible to use.

A left-foot shifting five speed box as above probably helped to win RE a few more customers used to Japanese bikes, and with UCE bikes there has been no going back.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles