This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13926
By BobM
Hi Everyone
It’s been a few years since having an RE and have decided to have another go, but rather than just buying off ebay I thought I would ask here first. I’m wanting a 500 Bullet with electric start and morphing it into a trials bike using our host trials kit. Unless there is already a made up trials standing in someone’s shed they are thinking about selling? If not, as long as the engine runs ok I’m not too fussed how the rest is as it will all have to be stripped off anyway. I see our host is selling a 2008 Bullet with electric start at £1850 but spending another £1500 on the kit makes the whole job rather expensive. I can’t seem to find a £500 example as our host did lol.
Thanks
BobM
By Wheaters
Hi Bob, Welcome. In the last few years I’ve never seen a £500 Bullet either so good luck!

I bought my iron barrel 350 kickstart only for a lot more than that and although it was a runner I hate to think how much I’ve spent on it since!
By Rushour
Hi Bob,

To find a complete 500 Bullet would be indeed impossible these days - I have a 2003 Model 65 ( probably the best iron barrel model ever made ) in very nice condition, only 5,000 miles with too many of the good modes to mention but it is £2,000 - probably too much if you want to convert it as its too nice original but thought I would give it a punt.
By stinkwheel
Thing to do is keep your eye out for a basket case/insurance write-off. Still unlikely to get one for £500 though.

The donor bike for my 612 project cost me £850 with the engine in three buckets and a knackered crank (I was replacing this anyway with the conversion). It had been sat out the back of a kebab shop in Nottingham for 4 years in bits. I was looking out for one for a good couple of months before it came up.

Used and cheap parts are still readily available so you can sort out most issues, usually with an upgrade. Some bits I play the ebay india lottery for, others I get from our hosts. You do get burned on them sometimes though

350s are easier to get hold of than 500s. I bet a 350 with a 400cc long-stroke crank conversion would make a cracking trials bike... Spendy though.
By BobM
Yes finding the elusive £500 Bull 500 isn't going to happen. I bought a new 350 in 2008 for £2400 and sold it in 2012 for £1750. I did the end to end challenge on it which took 2 days with my daughter on the back, we covered 1600 miles over three days without any problems. I just wanted a 500 with the thumb start. I'll keep my eye on the usual auction site. Thanks for coming back.

Bob
By Wheaters
"Thumb start"....

Unless you're after a "modern" Bullet (i.e. unit construction) I suggest you read up about the starter motor sprag clutch problems many owners suffer with the "electric leg".

TBH, I still quite enjoy the novelty of having to kickstart my 350. In the not too distant past so have others, who watched me struggle when my newly acquired 350 kept losing its compression due to a soft exhaust valve seat... :shock:
Thankfully now the bike usually starts first kick ;)
By BobM
Yes I read about the motor sprag issues, and I still do like the kick starter but want something different especially when you get caught out at lights and it spits back through the carb and stops! I'll come across one eventually, just a matter of time when one shows up. I can buy a 2017 500 for £2500 today but having to spend another £1500 on the trial bits it takes the shine of the project, I might as well buy a new trials bike.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles