This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
I didn’t know what title to use, so bear with me!

I have a 2004 (2006 registered) 350 Bullet four speed, kick start.

Yes I know it is Indian built and am very happy, but does anyone know if any parts came from original tooling?

By the way, I dislike those people say ‘ooh, it’s not an original’ if that’s you, don’t read on.
I personally think my bike is original Royal Enfield, like all Royal Enfields right up to the new Interceptor for example.

What I am trying to clarify and I know some seals changed to metric and some bolts also, but are any of the parts on a 2004 bike from machines that made the Redditch Bullets?

I’ve done some history reading, but cannot clarify if castings for example are original. I know for example some strengthening was added, ribbing for example.

I suppose if some old curmudgeonly ‘gentleman’ comes up to me again and says ‘is that an original, I could just say - they all are.

John
By Adrian
The crankcase castings changed in the mid/late 1970s when the Indian factory adopted metric main bearings, simplified the inside of the timing chest and did away with the pressure release valve for the rocker oil feed. The factory also saw considerable investment in CNC tooling to try and boost quality, so I'd be surprised if much of the former Redditch tooling was still used by 2004. Can't rule out the notion completely, though.

If you don't already have a copy, Gordon May's "Made in India" is a good background read.

A.
The one things that has remained the same right up to the present day is the casquette. There is a very subtle difference when you see a 50’s one and a modern one side by side, but you need to be an anorak like me to notice.

I’m with you John, Indian Enfields have direct ancestry right back to Redditch and are the only survivors of the British bike industry.
Thanks both, I’ll never forget the look of disgust on those two people at who at different times asked if it was original.... idiots.

Anyway I guess they really are idiots as they didn’t know and therefore should not have asked.

I’ll check the book out, thanks.
By Wheaters
I suppose if some old curmudgeonly ‘gentleman’ comes up to me again and says ‘is that an original, I could just say - they all are.
My Indian home market, iron barrelled 350 Bullet Electra often attracts attention from "rubber-neckers" when it's parked up in a line of modern bikes (most of which need manufacturers' stickers to let people know who actually made them!).

As soon as some of them walk around the back of the bike and look at the registration plate and see it's a 2004 bike, they look really disappointed. They don't notice that the engine doesn't actually have a distributor, as most other Enfields did.

I'm sure if I put an older plate on the bike it would be a different matter. Doesn't bother me though, I like the fact that my bike has electronic ignition and doesn't leak oil all over the road.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles