This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Wheaters
John, for this year the MCC are offering a shorter route of 80 miles (daylight only) for those like me who don't want to do the full 200 miler. Entries close on 17th August. ;)
By stinkwheel
Wheaters wrote: (I also fell off after the engine struggled on the most extreme bit and I broke the threaded end off the left footrest support bar)! :oops:

Ah well, you've got a fork stanchion tightening tool now (footpeg bar is the exact hex size for screwing the stanchions into the top yoke with a spanner). You probably alreadyknow this but I would suggest podgering the old one out with the new one. If you remove the bar completely, the engine/frame alignment can move and swearing ensues.

Good excuse to buy some folding footpegs?
By Wheaters
stinkwheel wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:17 am

Ah well, you've got a fork stanchion tightening tool now (footpeg bar is the exact hex size for screwing the stanchions into the top yoke with a spanner). You probably already know this but I would suggest podgering the old one out with the new one. If you remove the bar completely, the engine/frame alignment can move and swearing ensues.

Good excuse to buy some folding footpegs?
So I have - but tbh, it's a bit bent and it's already off the bike; it needed knocking out from the other end with a steel bar so I think it would have damaged the new one. I hope the replacement will go back OK.....

Yes, I've been eyeing up folding footpegs; I'm surprised the originals aren't made to fold because they stick out a mile! Sorry, they used to stick out...
By Wheaters
Yes, saved the brake pedal and my left leg. Damaged the left toolbox lid, the headlight rim, broke the handlebar screen. The rear luggage rack saved the bike from more damage.
By Wheaters
Order for folding footrests and a new bar now placed.

I think I might well also go along with the suggestion of a smaller crankshaft sprocket. It's easier to get to it than to the gearbox sprocket and will have a greater effect.

Trouble is, I have also to buy a new primary chain - the bill will be at least another £100 or so. It's just occurred to me that I've spent far more money on this bike over the last two years than I've spent on my Honda CB750 over the last 22 years, which has only needed oil changes and a couple of new batteries!
By stinkwheel
Equally, you now have a different bike. You started off with a road bike and now you have a trials bike.

They may be slow and badly made but they are damned versatile.
By Wheaters
Yes, I looked for alternatives but they were the footrests I've ordered.

I've been following Michael Waller's videos for about a year now and subscribe to his channel. The off-road bike he's currently building is much earlier than mine, though. Mine is a late, Indian home market, Bullet 350 Electra.
By Wheaters
For those not familiar with what the MCC reliability trials involve, this year the motorcycling journalist Paul Blezard was given an invite to ride a Himalayan in the Land's End trial which always takes place over the Easter weekend. I have helped run one of the sections as a marshal/observer for the last three years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taC6x7yorfY

Having thought about this, the track I fell off on recently is more challenging than most of those on the Land's End and most of the Edinburgh Trial, too.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles