This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Wheaters
I'm sure you wouldn't be allowed to enter a tractor, not least because the tyres for it wouldn't comply with the strict regulations. There is a strictly controlled approved tyre list and in particular, no "mud and snow" or similar tyres are allowed. It's all about the amount of damage and disturbance tolerated by the landowners and local authorities, especially where the sections are on normally restricted use areas such as footpaths or bridleways. Special permission for land use for all the sections has to be obtained by the club (at quite some expense and after a lot of negotiation) and it's always a very sensitive subject.

The Suzuki GVs and similar heavier vehicles (after a lot of discussion by the club organisers), as I said, are now being disallowed for the latter reason.
By stinkwheel
When I watch films of trials, the X-90s seem to really struggle compared to almost anything else. I used to have a Suzuki Jimny and while it was a highly capable 4x4 it was utterly useless in 2wd mode on any loose or slippery surface.
By Wheaters
They are quite heavy compared to most other cars used, but they are still quite popular. A lot of "more mature" competitors graduate to them from more basic vehicles. After doing a few long distance trials in an open top car with only a front windscreen, although the X-90 doesn't appeal to me, I can understand to some extent.
By Wheaters
Today I managed to finish off the right side gear change conversion to the 5 speed box and it seems to find all of its gear ratios.

All I have to do now is obtain the final parts I need and get it fitted into the bike. Looks like an engine out job because I can't see any other way of doing it.
By stinkwheel
You can definately remove and fit a normal 4-speed with the engine in the frame. Primary case needs to come off. You need to wind the 4-studs out from the back of the crankcases (you might need to use a couple of half-nuts locked together to do this, I had some slightly longer studs made for mine) Then dismount the two triangluar brackets. It lifts up and off the bottom bolt and slides out to the right (use the kickstart and mainshaft as lifting handles).

Removing the little seperate mudguard section and removing/pivoting the rear subframe up out of the way helps. Even easier if you stand it on a couple of axle stands and remove the rear wheel for access to the studs.

I can't see why a 5-speed would be any different?

Here's mine ready for me to fit the gearbox which slots on top of the bolt with the luggage strap round it (it's ready to be removed at that point, the frame bolts are all in). You can see the threaded holes in the back of the crankcase ready for the gearbox studs.

By mauri
It is physically impossible to mount or dismout a 5speed gearbox from a standard indian bullet frame with the engine still in place.

Contrary to the 4speed which can be split in 3 ,the 5speed can only be spilt a the outer cover.
And the 5speed gearbox itself is physically larger, be it in width, depth and hight.
By Wheaters
I doubt there's enough spare thread on the end of the studs bolts attaching my gearbox to get two half nuts on there.
Also, I don't think my bike has the same type of rear mudguard as the UK versions (the front one is definitely different). The rear wheel has to come out anyway, to fit a new inner tube.

But separating the two is a lot of work to get the old box out if the new one won't go in. So engine out it is. More work than I expected but it will give me the chance to touch up some rust on the frame and repair or replace the burred out hexagon holes for the footrest support rod.
By Super45
Wheaters wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:17 pm
I'm sure you wouldn't be allowed to enter a tractor, not least because the tyres for it wouldn't comply with the strict regulations. There is a strictly controlled approved tyre list and in particular, no "mud and snow" or similar tyres are allowed. It's all about the amount of damage and disturbance tolerated by the landowners and local authorities, especially where the sections are on normally restricted use areas such as footpaths or bridleways. Special permission for land use for all the sections has to be obtained by the club (at quite some expense and after a lot of negotiation) and it's always a very sensitive subject.

The Suzuki GVs and similar heavier vehicles (after a lot of discussion by the club organisers), as I said, are now being disallowed for the latter reason.

Yes I had a brief read of the rules on tyres and understandable for their reasoning , I would say a vintage car on standard ish road tyres spinning its wheels up a slop would do more harm than a small vintage tractor plodding up the same route and the weight is a bout the same at 1300 kgs so similar to a some of the 3 series BMW's used on the trials

regarding the routes them selves we use most of the BOAT's around that area on tractor road runs and have a 30 year old minimum rule which rules out the large modern stuff from using the routes to avoid damage.

Are you a member of GLASS ( Green lane association ) be worth chucking them £12 for the year then you get access to trailwise 2 their online route planner with every green lane. byway open to all traffic you can use, be worth it for practice routes for next year
By Wheaters
Thanks, I have looked at "GLASS" but according to the website they charge £48 ( :o !) for membership, not £12, on an annual basis. I can't really justify spending that, especially as it looks like they couldn't provide me with much more than route access information I can get elsewhere (I already have a subscription to a regularly updated 50,000 and 25,000 HD mapping database, which I use for my job).
By Super45
Wheaters wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:33 am
Thanks, I have looked at "GLASS" but according to the website they charge £48 ( :o !) for membership, not £12, on an annual basis. I can't really justify spending that, especially as it looks like they couldn't provide me with much more than route access information I can get elsewhere (I already have a subscription to a regularly updated 50,000 and 25,000 HD mapping database, which I use for my job).

My bad, truth be told the last time I looked how much it was it was £12 annually :shock: just shows how much I look at my bank account!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles