This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Wheaters
Just received an exhaust baffle for Mr H's " Woodsman" exhaust system and fitted it.

I was concerned that the bike might fail the MCC noise test at scrutineering. Excessive noise through villages and hamlets during the trial is very much frowned on, especially as the club gains permission to use some areas where vehicle access is normally prohibited. Travelling marshals are appointed for the event and they have the authority to stop vehicles causing noise problems on the route. The likely result of a noisy vehicle is being told to sort it (you probably can't at that stage) or disqualification from the event. :(
By mauri
a bash plate is indeed a good option for starters.

But a 14 in the front and all the rest standard is waaaay to long.

a primary 17T sprocket(and shorter chain) is a must, and for example i vary between a 14T - 15T at the front sprocket and 46T --> 50T at the back.
Given a have a 500 which has a bit more torque.

an automatic chain tensioner is als one of the basics, it takes the jerkiness of the reapplying traction to the rear wheel.

The only consequence of this i that you're cruising speed on the road will be slow.
Its much easier the manage the slow speed on the road than having a much to long a gearing in the zone.
The time spent on the road in mostly kept to a minimum anyway's.

if you still have the standard rear suspension, this will be also waaay to harsh--> loss of traction.
the front suspension in standard trim is usable but still to harsh also.

the standard front facing foot steps are very uncomfortable for standing up on, you can amend this by using the rear ones turned forward.

and the list can go on and on, even for a basic conversion to trials us.

and don't get fooled as so many have in using a crusader/clipper/.... frame if you want to go all the way, it hold's no advantage of any kind except for the looks.

the standard indian frame is more than adequate to do the job and is very easy to adapt.
By Adrian
It's wise to avoid getting black-flagged for excessive exhaust noise, though as our hosts' woodsman silencer is baffle-fitted rather than being one of their usual straight-through jobs it might already be adequate.

Mauri, are you talking engine or gearbox sprockets or both? Also no-one suggested opting for a crusader frame, besides your point that there is no real advantage, why go through all the registration hassles to get the resulting bitsa road-legal?

Back in the "glory days" many private entrants into various branches of motorcycle sport couldn't afford separate bikes for sport and day-to-day use, they'd have to have something which could compete at weekends and still be capable of being ridden to work during the week. I don't think that Wheaters' plan is to turn the bike into a full-blown trials iron, just more of a genuine dual-purpose bike.

A.
By Wheaters
Mauri, Thanks, that certainly sounds like the way to go for dedicated off-road events, but Adrian is correct.

The bike is primarily for the road. MCC Classic trials are primarily for road vehicles - they are long distance reliability trial and most of the mileage is on the public highway. The Edinburgh trial consists of about 200 miles including approximately fifteen off -piste hills of about a mile long at the very most. I'm not doing the full event but will ride the bike to and from it.

All I need to do is lower the gearing slightly to help it pull a bit easier on the steeper off-road hill climb sections. It might even be able to slog its way up as it is, I've no desire or need to turn it into a full blown "rock lobster" trials bike because there's nothing like boulders or fallen trees to deal with on this type of event, mainly muddy tracks. I certainly need to keep the bike usable on main roads (I've just ridden it on the M1 motorway and will need to continue to do so on occasions).

Here's a link to the MCC website: https://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/

Cars do the same sections and they are required to use road tyres - there is a list of approved types but no "mud and snow" types are allowed. Bike tyre regs are little more lenient but no modern Enduro or Motocross tyres are allowed, there are limits on maximum tread block spacing and those with "straight across" gaps between treads are banned.
-------------------------------------------------
Adrian,
I was a little surprised to find that the Woodsman exhaust I've recently fitted is actually of the straight through "muffler" type, hence my need for a baffle insert. I've been out for a 35 mile trip just now - it's noticeably quieter. I'll probably remove the baffle for normal use because it's also reduced the top end power.
By Wheaters
I'm quite happy with the silencer I received, so no need to buy yet another (there are now four in my garage)!
By John-M
Moving the foot pegs further back will help a lot off road, it puts you in a much better position when riding standing up and help you take weight off the front end when riding over obstacles. If you can fit folding pegs it helps as well.
You also need to lower the gearing significantly, a 14T gearbox sprocket does not lower the gearing sufficiently with a standard rear sprocket, my Bullet has a 14T front and a larger rear sprocket, (forgotten how many teeth), although a smaller engine sprocket would probably be a cheaper and simpler way to go.
I wouldn't bother too much about transmission snatch as the Bullet has a cush-drive in the rear hub, the factory trials replicas and presumably factory trials bikes had a cush - in the clutch centre as well, but I'm not sure that it makes much difference difference.
By John-M
I have done the Beamish Trophy Trial on a 350 Bullet with a 15 tooth gear box sprocket and standard rear and struggled on the off road sections.
I have done the same event many times on a 350 Bullet / Crusader with more appropriate gearing and foot pegs, which was a lot easier. I have also done the Ilkley Classic trial on the 350 Bullet / Crusader.
I have always fancied the Edinburgh trial, but my Bullet / Crusader has no lights so I was stumped for the night sections. I will have to re-visit the regs as I think that they are making the event more accessible.
I have also done the Northern Trial on a Suzuki SP400 and trials sidecar, but that's another story.
By Wheaters
Thanks, John, useful info.
I went on a difficult section off-road section today and yes, I could have done with lower gearing .
(I also fell off after the engine struggled on the most extreme bit and I broke the threaded end off the left footrest support bar)! :oops:

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles