This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Adrian
One thing I have noticed is that the 5 speed boxes don't like excessive slack in the clutch cable, or presumably the rest of the operating mechanism, for smooth operation.

Also watch out for the green pattern end cover gaskets, they're a bit thinner than the older versions and can cause clearance problems, in my case it was with the kickstart binding as soon as the end cover was screwed home. Had to fit two gaskets in the end.

Hopefully the problems here are just down to its new-ness.

A.
By Wheaters
Hopefully, that's it - I think I might still be "running in" this gearbox.

I made my own end cover gasket, out of the thicker of the gasket materials I have here, but that's something I'll bear in mind. There was a green gasket on it when I bought it and I think this is the same fault it had then, only less severe now.
By Aethelric
My 5 speed box does not like much clutch cable play. I find that the cable gets slacker as the engine warms up and I adjust the cable at the handlebar end as I'm riding. Then part of the cold starting routine is to slacken the clutch cable off again.
It's better than it was before I slightly bent the clutch lever.
The standard lever really does not have enough movement.
By Wheaters
Hi Aethelric,

I suspect my handlebar levers aren't the same as yours because mine have no adjusters and I had to make a ferrule to adapt the standard 5 speed cable to fit the fixed part of the lever and to take up unwanted slack. However, I've adjusted my cable at the gearbox end so there is very little slack and I made sure there is good clutch plate separation before I put it all back together. I also fitted a new roller bearing clutch release pushrod, which is supposed to allow better clutch operation.

However, I don't think clutch drag is the main cause so I might have to look inside the gearbox again. I'm sure it's the same issue it had when I first got it, but less so. When operating the gear change there should be a slight "click" as the selector mechanism resets itself. If it hasn't clicked, it means the push/pull selector fork hasn't moved back onto the next cross pin on the cam plate. I think it's a combination of engineering tolerances causing the problem. I think I might need to carefully grind a little more metal off the inside of the selector fork "fingers" to allow more clearance.
By mauri
the run in of my 5speed took about a 1000Km.

starting of with a firm push/pull of the foot and at the end of the run in, it changed gear with a minimal of effort.
ones run in change the oil.

be aware that any type off Indian cable(clutch, throttle,.....) is of the stretchy kind.
changing to a western made one makes quite a difference.
By Wheaters
Went out on the bike again this afternoon and did plenty of gear changes. It will change up without any problem.

Changing down it will go into 4th but then the pedal won't reset to go into 3rd or below unless I "nudge" the pedal slightly upwards, which isn't easy with "adventure" boots on.

It does seem to be an issue with either the return spring or the linkage.
I just hope (if necessary) I can get the outer case off without taking the engine out and separating the box. :x
By Wheaters
I've just found the U bend video "Bullet Whisperer" (Paul Henshaw) showing how he sorted out a similar downward gear change issue on a 5 speed, which I found useful. I think the problem with my box is slightly different, though.

I've been out in the garage, investigating further. It's as if the weight of the gear change lever is enough to prevent the linkage "resetting" itself. When a down shift won't go, the lightest touch upwards on the pedal causes a positive "click", which is the "striker" arm engaging in the next pin/roller on the cam plate. Then it will down shift. I reckon the effort needed is so light that the original "heel and toe" gear lever would possibly be counterbalanced enough for this problem not to occur!
By Wheaters
Adrian, I've watched that video before after I stripped my gearbox a few weeks ago so I know how to strip it and put it back together, it's just making the bu&&er work as advertised that's difficult. :( Yes, looking again, it can be done in the frame, bonus! :D

I hope he's not putting that gearbox out on sale - it looks like it's not seen oil in a very long time!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles