This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Wheaters
One good thing that came out of yesterday's disappointment. Another trialler (taking part in a car this time), an ex RE owner wandered over at the start and admired my bike while it was awaiting the scrutineer. He told me he had an unused 5 speed gearbox that was no good to him now he no longer owns a Bullet and wondered if I might be interested in it. I've been in touch with him again this morning and he's offered it to me for a very favourable price.

Result! :D
By Adrian
Well done, worth the entry for that alone. Now if the Cosmic Motorcycle Supply Company is really on the ball it will already have been right-foot shift converted, just check what size sprocket is on there when you get it.

Result indeed.

A.
By Wheaters
No, not yet been converted but it looks easy to do and I have a "project friendly" engineering shop five minutes away from here who could bore out the outer case for the right side gear change. They've done quite a few odd jobs for me, including helping out with my home designed car supercharger project plus other "one-offs". Or I can always buy the conversion parts from our host, of course.

The gearbox sprocket is, as far as I'm aware, "standard" for a 500 and from the photos I've been sent I think I can see 18 teeth, which ties in. I'll fit a 16 tooth one because the bike is a 350 and I like the lower gearing the bike presently has.

The 5 speed has been shrink wrapped and looks brand new.... and he did say it's never been fitted. ;)
By Adrian
18T was standard for the Electra-X, 17T for the Sixty-5, ISTRC. If you look back through the forum archives there's some helpful stuff about doing your own right-foot shift conversion.

A.
By Wheaters
Thanks for all the advice, chaps - very helpful. I'm hoping to drive down to collect the gearbox tomorrow. How soon I'll get it fitted is another matter...something called "job" keeps interfering with my plans!
By Super45
That's a real shame about the puncture Paul

I had actually walked over to dudwood farm to watch the events expecting to see you there as it's only over the valley from my village

Some interesting machines being used thats for sure!
By Wheaters
The thing I enjoy about the MCC trials is seeing the great variety of vehicles being used, all trying to achieve the same thing on the hills. After a classic bike or a modern trail bike might come an Austin Seven saloon, a supercharged BMW estate, a VW Beetle or a one off
trials special with a modern turbocharged engine.
By Wheaters
I fetched the 5 speed gearbox today - a total of seven hours driving!

It looks like it was actually fitted in a bike (bolt head witness marks in the black paint on the top brackets) but for some reason not run on the road. The usual tell tale signs of minor corrosion on the plated parts are totally absent, and everything else is as clean as a whistle, as if it just came out of the factory. The right hand cover is unmarked and very highly polished.

The sprocket looks like it has never turned a chain for long, there's no witness marks on the teeth, although it was very slightly oily, so it has had a chain on it.

I think there are a few minor parts missing. There is a random counter sunk headed bolt screwed into where the clutch cable goes - presumably I'm missing an adapter or adjuster - or does the cable come with a screw in adapter already fitted?
I don't think the clutch pushrod is in there either.

I've begun looking at Mr. H's Bullet parts lists. The mainshaft/clutch nut is present and is M12, rather than the alternative M14. Judging by the info in the catalogue I think this confirms it's from a pre-2007 bike, as Adrian said.

I'll investigate further tomorrow. If it's all serviceable, I think I've got a real bargain.
By Wheaters
Having checked photos of the clutch cable I think it just screws into the threaded hole. One will go on the shopping list. I've read there might be problems with breakages so I'll buy a British made one.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles