This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Daiwiskers
Apology (spelin) to all I'd forgotten we were talking about off roading on a bullet
It's an age thing Dai
By rattonshaw
Took the Electra out for a shake-down to see what the fit of fabricated parts was like and what might fall off :(

The new footrest position is more amenable to me than the OEM. Gearchange linkage works ok as does the brake pedal with a reduced length. Clutch lever now replaced with a GPZ500 lever assembly and more comfortable to operate. Rear wiring harness fabricated for the replacement rear lights and the LED indicators; was fortunate to have an old Suzuki loom with a six-way connector. Front LEDs still to be fitted; just waiting on delivery of some two-way connectors from our hosts. Off-road tyres handle great in the dry, predictable when leant over. Mirrors are Honda, which have a rubber mount; I had to fit a left to right hand adapter on one side.

Going back in the garage to cut the surplus metal off various plates and brackets, paint, then refit.
Attachments
20220311_102723 800pxW.jpg
20220311_102723 800pxW.jpg (302.71 KiB) Viewed 60111 times
20220311_102636 800pxW.jpg
20220311_102636 800pxW.jpg (262.54 KiB) Viewed 60111 times
By stinkwheel
rattonshaw wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:53 am
Going back in the garage to cut the surplus metal off various plates and brackets, paint, then refit.
If they're anything like the ones on the bullet, the two triangular engine plates at the top rear of the engine act as a terrible water trap. if you have them off, it's worth grinding/filing a concave on the straight edge that sits up against the engine, then the water can run off.
By rattonshaw
I spent the weekend competing in the Land's End Trial 2022, which is organised by The Motor Cycling Club, though, not on my Royal Enfield. Wandering about at the finish, I spotted this Meteor 350 that had been modified for the event; very impressive. Some obvious modifications such as the exhaust and the 21 inch front wheel.
Attachments
Meteor 350 LS 800pxW.jpg
Meteor 350 LS 800pxW.jpg (276.71 KiB) Viewed 59924 times
Meteor 350 RS 800pxW.jpg
Meteor 350 RS 800pxW.jpg (322.05 KiB) Viewed 59924 times
By Wheaters
That was Chris Northover, from Swansea. I had a short conversation with him at the start at Hackmarsh (I was the section chief Marshall). He told me he’d only had the bike for a few weeks, so he’d done well to get it prepared for the trial.

I commented on the exhaust and he told me it was a one-off, made for him by a company in Oxford. A purposeful machine (with the advantage of a lower seat height than the Himalayan) and I think he successfully cleared the hill.

There were three “Northovers”, all travelling together. The other two on Hondas.

If you came through Hackmarsh we might have chatted briefly; I tried to have a few words with everyone where there was time.
By rattonshaw
Chris certainly did well to complete the bike in a few weeks. It'd be interesting to know what mods, if any, were done to the fuel system as a result of the new silencer. The meteor is presumably a fuel injected, Euro 5 specification.

I did come through Hackmarsh; I was no. 23 on a Beta Alp 4.0, though, I rarely remember the sections, let alone the marshals :oops:
By Wheaters
Ah, saw who you are from the programme. No problem, at least it sounds like you finished and from what I saw and heard quite a few didn't. Some got so lost that they did our section twice (and our Scandinavian guests attempted it an hour and three quarters before it even opened)! :mrgreen:

I reckon it was still hard going, even thought the weather was kind this year.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles