This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Wheaters
Just sent off what is hopefully my last order for parts to finish off the 5 speed conversion. It's only money... :shock:

Trouble is, when doing stuff like this I usually find I've forgotten one vital piece of the jigsaw, break something else doing the job, or something I've just bought doesn't actually fit.... :(
By Wheaters
I'm sure you're right. I've got a lot to do before I can ride it again; the bike project might need to go on the back burner for a while. Too many other jobs to do...

Wife's work van needs annual service and MOT prep (I've fixed the engine warning light problem and had two new tyres fitted), my trials car's supercharged engine needs its new cylinder head, decompression plate mod and new fuel injection system finishing off, house really needs decorating before Christmas and roof needs work...garden needs a long overdue tidy up etc.

Maybe I should just go to work for a rest...
By Wheaters
Began to dismantle the primary drive side of the 350 today, in order to change the gearbox.

Nothing is straight forward with this bike, which appears to be "halfway house" between the traditional iron barrelled Bullet and the later, electric starter equipped 500cc Electra, with some "funnies" thrown in for extra confusion.

There appeared to be no logical way of preventing the crankshaft from rotating to undo the nut on its left hand end. I managed that by a mechanic's bodge (I was pleased to find it did have a conventional right hand thread).

I immediately discovered I will need a magneto removal tool (as per the one advertised in Mr H's catalogue as only for the EFI engine) to pull the rotor from the crankshaft. Other tools needed are an engine sprocket removal tool, a clutch centre holding tool (to hold it while unscrewing the mainshaft nut) and (hopefully, finally) a clutch centre removal tool.

Another £100 for tools that I'll probably only ever use once. :shock: . Maybe in my dotage I'll set up a Royal Enfield tool hire shop in an attempt to get some money back. :roll:
By Wheaters
Correction to the above - the catalogue does say the magneto extractor is also for the Electra.. previous page. That will teach me (left handed) not to read books backwards. :)
By stinkwheel
I jam a piece of folded denim in the primary chain to stop it rotating.

Maybe you should invest in an impact wrench. That would take care of the rotor nut and the clutch centre nut and comes in handy elsewhere too (eg damper rod nuts on forks and suchlike)
By Wheaters
I do own an impact wrench powered by a compressed air line and I did similar to your method to remove the rotor nut but I still need the pullers.
By Adrian
With the alternator, it depends how good a fit the tapered main-shaft and its corresponding piece of rotor are, you might be able to jar it free with a good clout from a mallet. Don't lose the key.

Not sure how tight a fit your old 4 speed clutch centre will be, but on the five speed boxes I don't think I've ever needed an extractor to get the clutch off, at least not until I bought a Newby clutch for Not A Fury.

A.
By Wheaters
I considered using some 'percussion persuasion' or leverage but the magneto rotor on the Electra is little more than a pressed steel cup with very slender magnets bonded on its inside edge. I doubt it would take any meaningful impact without knocking it out of kilter or damaging a magnet and it's a very close fit around the stator assembly in the outer chain case. I'll buy the proper extractor for it because any damage would cost a lot more to rectify. I did once damage a magneto flywheel for a relatively scarce bike and had to buy another entire bike to get that one spare part!

I'll be more than a little miffed if the sprocket behind it or the clutch come off without having to use the service tools if I've just gone and bought them all...but knowing my luck...
By Adrian
Don't forget the big nut behind the rotor that holds the engine sprocket on, the standard Bullets with the Lucas-oid alternators don't have this. Can't remember if it's a 30 or 32mm hex.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles