This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By weedsy
Can anyone give me any info on the procedure? In particular the need for a "certificate on conformity" which as far as I know didn't exist in 1957 when my bike was made, but the French seem to think I need one - or at least, some of them, depending on which person at which prefecture you speak to.
I have a UK V5C in Historic class, and I would register the bike the same way here, i.e. "Carte grise de collection".
I probably need to do this before whatever kind of Brexit we get.
Is the CofC simply a dating certificate? (which I already have courtesy of the club).I speak passable French. Any advice more than welcome . . . .
By Rushour
I know of two friends who have taken UK registered bikes out the France - after much patience and multiple attempts they both ended up bringing the bikes back and buying French bikes, the rouge tape is never ending and the French seem to revel in finding ways to annoy the English so no change there then.
By Adrian
I would suggest you follow the link I posted earlier and sign yourself up for the French forum PDQ, they have experience of importing bikes from the UK. I assume you're living out there permanently now?

http://www.royalenfieldlesite.fr/forum/ ... e=register

They like you to introduce yourself in the New Members section first (Présentations des pilotes), followed by a bit about your bike in the My Bike section (Présentation des motos), where you can ask about getting your Carte Grise.

When I sold my '57 Bullet to a member of their forum in 2009 he manged to get it registered OK, apart from the V5 shuffle I had to provide him with a glorified sales chit, but as you already own the bike that might not be relevant, so I'd dig out every last scrap of paperwork and put a folder together for the relevant authority.

Scaleyback lives out there for part of the year with his Meteor Minor but I think he keeps up its UK registration.

A.
By mart
this from my mate who lives in France and has done this several time- hope it helps

Cert of conformity is an EU accepted type approval document which says just that - that the vehicule conforms to EU specs. Even modern Enfields are notoriously difficult to register in France! The only way for an early one is to contact the Federation Francais De Vehicules d”Epoque (FFVE) https://www.ffve.org/accueil_F%c3%a9d%c ... s_d_Epoque who will, after a long process, issue a document which will allow registration with a Carte Grise Collection equivalent to a Historic Vehicle V5.
So possible - I’m in the process of doing a Harley this way - but long winded and… French!
Any other questions let me know.
By weedsy
mart wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:21 am
this from my mate who lives in France and has done this several time- hope it helps

Cert of conformity is an EU accepted type approval document which says just that - that the vehicule conforms to EU specs. Even modern Enfields are notoriously difficult to register in France! The only way for an early one is to contact the Federation Francais De Vehicules d”Epoque (FFVE) https://www.ffve.org/accueil_F%c3%a9d%c ... s_d_Epoque who will, after a long process, issue a document which will allow registration with a Carte Grise Collection equivalent to a Historic Vehicle V5.
So possible - I’m in the process of doing a Harley this way - but long winded and… French!
Any other questions let me know.
Thanks for that, Mart - a picture is beginning to emerge, most of the confusion is because the older (simple!) system has been replaced by the FFVE one you described. In the good 'ole days, you used to just swap your Historic vehicle V5C for a carte grise de collection and a dating certificate at the prefecture, with a note from the fisc to say there was no VAT due (one of mine was written on a post-it note (!).
I have had dealings with the FFVE to register an MGB - they insisted on the ultimate amount of information, some of it expensive to obtain, some of it in duplicate form - and then issued a lovely official certificate for an MGA . . . . 'nuff said.
Looks like I'm in for a re-run of that . . . . in which case, based on previous experience, getting it done before Brexit looks unlikely! As to what might or might not happen post-Brexit no-one knows; and anyone who does isn't telling. Thanks for the info, I'll get onto the FFVE site - Cheers, Weedsy
By weedsy
Adrian wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:45 pm
Quick work, there!

http://www.royalenfieldlesite.fr/forum/ ... =1&t=20659

They have an offical annual rally in May in a different location every year, (plus a few smaller regional camping weekends put on by other members). The May rallies tend to be in the southern half of the country but this year's was in Normandy.

Bonne route!

A
Thanks, A - they seem a very friendly bunch, with some considerable sense of humour; they even arranged for me to be welcomed by Her Majesty, waving to me . . . . the brakes post will have to wait a while, I'm afraid - if I can't get the paperwork done, lack of front brakes will be less of a worry - I won't be riding it!
By Adrian
Ref the EU/Brexit thing, you will of course be able to remind the FFVE that you bike was built by a comfortable margin before the UK joined what is now the European Union back in 1973.

We look forward to your successful battle with French bureaucracy. There ARE Redditch RE twins in France if you have to buy one already registered and sell yours back here!

A.
By fm13exfm12
Royal enfields over 30 years old are a walk in the park to register in France. From start to finish it is taking approx 6 weeks. That includes FFVE 2 weeks then register through ANTS 4 weeks. Total cost to get a carte gris (log book) for a 350 bullet about 140 euros.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles