This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By mart
just bought this. only because is a 1970, and therefore historic and it has a 5 speed box. don't much care for the shiny bits, electric start or the disc brake. I might have to do something about all that. its called a 'Bullet Machismo' !!
(I still havnt stopped laughing) new engine fitted in 2007 with high comp. piston and gas flowed head. I have a '94 500 engine that I will fit and convert it to right hand drive.
Attachments
2.jpg
Add description
$_86.jpg
Add description
By Rushour
Five speed gearbox and disc brake did not come out until 2002 - hopefully the frame is of 1970 age otherwise I fear you have been sold a ringer.
By mart
its H regd and its a 1970 'Historic Vehicle' - it says so on the V5
The ES engine and 5 speed box were fitted by Pricepart Motorcycles in 2007 ( which is after 2002 I believe )
The disc brake was fitted a year ago using one of Mr H's conversion kits.
By Adrian
How anyone managed to get an H plate for that is beyond me, unless someone actually did build it around a genuine 1970 frame and got a dating certificate from the club. Once you have got a frame with a valid V5C you can change it around as you like, though an engine swap means notifying the DVLA and insurance. I'd be double checking the frame numbers and possibly contacting the club. I certainly hope it IS legit, but Rushour isn't the only one to have the word "ringer" come to mind.

If you don't already have copy, Mart, I'd thoroughly recommend Gordon May's book "Made In India" about the history of the Madras/Chennai Bullets.

The "Machismo" was the name first used for a more blinged-up version of the home market 350 Bullet, similar to the De-luxe export 350s, until the name was re-used for the first of the A350 lean burn engine models round about 1999. These were originally fitted with the normal 4 speed right foot shift and CDI ignition. Round about 2003/4 they swapped over to left foot 5 speed boxes and front disk brakes, followed soon after by an electric start version with TCI ignition.

I have to say that what you have there LOOKS like a standard 2005-8 E/S 350 Machismo rolling chassis (which is why I have my doubts), into which someone has fitted the engine from another 350 Indian home market model, the 350 Electra 5S. That disk front end is exactly what a Machismo from the mid naughties would have been fitted with, apart from the skimpy black mudguard, i.e. they're proper RE disk brake forks from the period with the knock-through spindle (identical to the Electra-X forks), and NOT a modified set of drum brake forks with one of our hosts' kits.

A.
By mart
Thanks for the detailed response. I have the original Indian log book from 1970. The frame number in that book matches the number on the frame as does the v5c. It came into the UK in 2007 and was converted at that time. Sounds like I'm wrong about the front end's provenence. All I know is that it was fitted a year ago by the same mechanic that did the original conversion. Its registered as an historic 1970 bike with the dvla so that's good enough for me. I'll sell off everything except the 5 speed box and frame and end up with a road legal trials bike.
Cheers
By Adrian
Well if the frame is kosher and the bike happily registered all should be well.

Did you find a use for your now spare ex-Crusader frame? Stick a unit Triumph 500 in there and build a pre-65 motocrosser!

A.
By Philluap
that is just like my 2008 500 De-luxe, only difference mine has drum front brake, amazing how the machines changed so little
By mart
the bike was supplied in 2007 by Henry Price in Rockhampton, who at the time, I believe, was refurbishing Bullets imported from India.
I might have a chat with him, to get some clarification on the history.
The Crusader frame is now un-employed! a Triumph engined 'crosser' sounds great but will only end up as another unfinished project.
thanks for your concern
By Adrian
RE bitsas from different years and even factories are simple enough to put together owing to the high level of interchangeability of parts, though this can cause other problems if you don't have the correct documents when it comes to registration time.

Our hosts still, I believe, have a 1951 Redditch Bullet frame for sale, technically it would not be difficult to build a complete bike around it using parts from a more recent Indian Bullet (or a selection of more recent Indian Bullets as has been the case with Mart's bike).

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles