This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Lidean
As the title suggests,
I need some opinions / ideas on the best approach to lighting my garage.
The usual single fluro light just doesn't do it for me as I like to "tinker" on my cars or bikes and there is nothing worse than having to get a work lamp out because you can't bloody see.
Do I use 4 fluros? Except 2 would be hidden if the garage. Door was up?
Also want to be able to see with ease when 2 cars are parked in garage.

Open to suggestions.
Thanks.
By PeteF
I just re-lit my garage with LED battens. It's like daylight in there now!
Another trick, if you can be bothered, is to paint the ceiling and walls white. It makes a huge difference.
By Adrian
I had the single flourescent tube fitting in my garage replaced by a pair of double fittings 5 years ago, well worth doing, though if I were having it done now the LED options are probably better.

Be a bit creative with positioning your extra lighting (of whatever sort), you should be able to avoid the open door masking them. Why not see if you can fit some lights on the inside of the door itself, so when it's in the "up" position you still get the benefit of them?

A.
By Haggis
It's very simple to change your old tubes to led, you use the same fitting and just rejig the wiring so you get a live and neutral at one end. You do away with the ballast resistor and starter. The light quality from the led tubes is much better for garage tinkering.
Led tubes were more expensive but supposed to last a lifetime?
By Andy C
I recommend these lights: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-10-pcs-600 ... DCujHmA4dA I have these in my garage.

Give really good light with much less power consumption that standard Neons.

For some portable light I have a smallish magnetic mount rechargable LED mechanics lamp as well as a "wand" type one that can be hung wherever you need it - again LED.

All the modern LED stuff is now pretty cheap, uses less energy for the same light output and out performs old incandescent or neon tubes.
By Beezabryan
Adrian, I replaced fluor tubes with LED, the pack included a dummy replacement starter . Straight swap.
I have heard good reports of the LED panels as noted by Andy.C

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles