This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Cov Lad
I have the opportunity to buy an old British based "bobber" It has a Triumph Thunderbird 650 engine in a 1955 frame which I believe to be Triumph. The bike is restored to a high standard and is ready to ride, however it is a "bobber" as opposed to standard Thunderbird. Pricewise it may be between £3,500 - £5000. I am wondering if these type of bikes (bobbers) hold their value or are just fashionable at present.

A local bike shop also has a BSA 650 "chopper" style bike for sale with extended forks - a real midlife crisis bike. This is only £3000 and needs recommissioning. I would rather put money into a bike rather than a bank as its a bit nicer to look at but am conscious of lacking enough knowledge to know if these are bikes worth a punt.

Any thoughts gratefully accepted.
By Adrian
If you were looking for an actual classic as something which will hold its value, I'd steer well clear of anything chopped or turned into a bobber if it cannot easily be put back to standard or at least a standard-looking bitsa, or post-industry thoroughbred, as Royce Creasry used to call them. The bobber thing is a bit of a fad, I wish people would leave genuine classic bikes alone in this respect. Cafe racers? Seems to be a different kettle of fish, for some reason!

If you have to (or choose to) spend loads on an old bike there is no guarantee you will ever see most of it back come time to sell.

A.
By Mark B
Bobbers are a passing fashion which will soon look as dated as old-school choppers. By all means buy one if you want, but don't expect it to be an investment. I like my machines to be as they were built, but with a well-lived life. Ride them, enjoy them, and if you get back what you bought them for if/when you sell, you've done well.
By Andy C
Think the general concensus is to leave well alone, unless of course that sort of style floats your boat. If you are looking for investment then you really need something to be pretty close to standard. Just my 2 penneth.
By Adrian
If that's how they want to build them at the factory, fine. Butchered classics are something else.

What about some of the Chinese bikes, papasmurf? They must be onto the craze by now.

A.
By Cov Lad
Some interesting responses, I would prefer a standard Triumph , the bobber available is cheaper and may not be a butchered classic but a "bitza" salvaged from different forgotten projects. It has however inspired me to instead try to resurrect my old BMW boxer which has sat idle since asking a mechanic to fix and move to my new house. Only 3 years and this will be MOT exempt which is also part of the attraction of the Triumph.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles