This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Jamesy
It's nice to have a choice though which Enfield has given us.Whether it's Honda transalp and a CBR sitting in your garage or a Himalayan and a Bullet 500.
By Jack the Lad
PeteF - I think you are wrong about the Himalayan not having retro appeal. Obviously it's not proper old like a Bullet or pastiche like Bonnevilles, R nineTs,Interceptors or Z900s, but the long stroke air cooled engine gives it a more authentically retro feel than any of those modern styling exercises. Although it is a modern 'adventure' bike and the styling isn't consciously trying to ape any particular old bike, to my eye it still has a proper traditional bike look to it with a dominant engine and functional style. There is none of the juvenile transformers style of GSs and Japanese bikes or the explosion in a parts factory 'style' of Triumph Tigers. I see a passing nod to the Rotax engined military Armstrong's of the 80s and ISDT bikes of the same era
By how-green
I am in total agreement with you Jack and all. I have enjoyed every moment of owning my Himmy and consider it my "Go To" bike by which I mean I can always rely on it when I need to just turn the key and go. As a commuter it is great, as an off roader it is far more capable than my own feeble skills and as a back road blaster it is ideal. I'm not into sitting on the motorways if I can help it even though it will do it but get it on a B road and stick it at 50-55 and it'll do that all day, every day, to the end of the world and back again. Ok, I may be biased, but I truly believe it. I would like to ask Jack a question though regarding his economy. I average low 80's mpg and my record is an annoying 98.6mpg (annoying because the 3 figure milestone is so close). Jack, how far do you run into the trip f before you fill up? I seem to chicken out when I've gone 200 ish miles before I fill up as the gauge has been in the red for ages yet only get 8 or 9 litres in. I think the fuel gauge is more of a suggestion that there could be fuel in the tank but other than that, the bike is a winner for sure.

Ride Safe

Neil
By Leon Novello
About Jamesy`s query about running in. To my knowledge, if the engine is delivered with synthetic oil, this usually means that it has been run-in at the factory, and can be ridden in a normal manner. Maybe change the oil at 200 miles if still worrying. Remember, synthetic oil lasts longer, but is very expensive.
By Mark M
I haven't ridden a Himalayan yet (Neil????) but I've met quite a few owners and without exception they all love it. You'd expect someone who put their own money down to talk it up but the buzz on this bike is unusually positive. Happy customers are the best advert they say. Meanwhile the GT will be no more, that's a surprise. And Hitchcocks will soon have a new catalogue out, stand by for Himmy goodies!

REgards, Mark
By Presto
I’m extremely dubious about ‘running-in at the factory’. I could accept that the factory may ‘run-up’ the engine but running-in is a process that requires riding the bike not just running the engine, or at least running under varying loads at varying speeds. To adequately run-in an engine at the factory would be an expensive procedure and not one I’d expect the RE factory to undertake. But this is only surmise on my part and I’m open to be proved wrong.
By Borsuk
Initial running in period is 300 miles. 1st service and oil change is at that, they recommend continuing running in until about 1200 miles, pretty much the same as the interceptor but a bit slower. Bike came with a couple of km on the odo.
I have about 1300 miles on mine. Runs fine, will sit at 65 - 70 quite happily and the Pirelli`s give much better traction on the road than I expected from a semi knobbly.
Main reasons I bought her were, the air cooled with a long stroke engine producing good torque at low revs, no need to rev like hell to pull away on a steep slope. Designed to be serviced easily without special equipment in back of beyond kerbside garages, my feet can actually touch the ground when on it, which on most adventure bikes I am like a kiddie at the adults table and it was cheap.
The only thing more I would have liked as a manufacturers option would be a lowering kit and tubeless compatible wheels. I am experimenting with getting inserts in my boots and maybe the seat thickness reduced.
Longest ride I have done so far was 270 miles with only a couple of breaks for fuel for the bike and fuel for me. Seat is fine over long distances and the bike handles well, I live in the mountains and the roads are steep with lots of twists and she is so good to throw around them, I really like her and won`t be parting with it any time soon.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles