This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Podge2207
Great review and totally honest.

I've had my Himalayan since 1 April this year - it wasn't even an April fool's gag! Up to now I concur with all you've said. I'm a similar height to yourself and a "big" lad and it's really comfortable for me. I part ex'd an 18 month old 500 EFI Bullet - the Himalayan is (in my opinion) in a different league. Someone described the looks as the biking equivalent to a Series 1 Land Rover, a fair comparison. I suppose it's a bit "Marmite" but I quite like its quirky looks.

My only gripe was a dodgy compass but this has now decided to work, so happy days! What value, it costs less than the average smartphone per month. Nuff said. :D
By Andy C
Really pleased to see all of these positive comments from "real world riders", seriously thinking about buying one of these to replace my old MZ ETZ 250 which I use as my backup / winter hack - love the old thing but after a recent long journey decided I need something with a bit more power and comfort.

Are there any models that I should avoid?- but given the price I guess I ought to just go out and buy a new one :D

Welcome any comments.
By Andy C
Test ride completed :D

20 iles or so is nothing like enough to fully appreciate a bike, but I was impressed enough to commit to buying one!!

Hopefully collect it this comming August once I have sold the old faithful MZ which this bike is going to replace.

Anyone want an MZ ETZ 250?
By tumblingdice54
Sounds great! I just went to one of only two RE dealers here in Ontario, Canada. Had to drive 225 km one-way on my CBR500 to get there in hot, hot weather. But, boy was it worth it after seeing the Himalayan in person.
I have now purchased the last 2019 granite version they are going to get. I also got the pannier kit, black panniers, hand guards and large engine guard. The bike was $6399 Can, plus dealer prep and freight, plus 13% tax. Adding in the accessories it is still under $9500 Can. I get it in 2 weeks. I can hardly wait.
By Andy C
Got the last one - you were lucky then !!

Hoping to pick mine up the 1st Friday in August, and really looking forward to it.
By Trev
PeteF wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:43 pm
Just my opinion of course but what the Himalayan doesn't have is any retro appeal and that's just why a lot of us ride Enfields.
I agree with this although it's a backhanded complement as if they made it feel and vibrate like the 500 efi they wouldn't sell many! I think there will be still be a Himalayan in my garage soon but the 500 efi will still be there for those lazy, hazy Sunday afternoons, ain't a 'modern' bike like it :D
By Jack the Lad
Interesting to see this old post revived.
The bike is 18 months old now and has 11000 miles on it now all. I don't ride off road, but ride all year round, country lanes and motorways. I still think it is a brilliant bike which is just fun to use It has never let me down. A couple of minor issues with the engine temp sensor causing rough running and a rear brake master cylinder seal were sorted under warranty.
Some people report a stalling problem which I've not experienced. I haven't fiddled with it and get it serviced to schedule by Lewis, the excellent mechanic at NCM.
If you like the (lack of) style and can live without an excess of power, it's a good usable everyday bike that puts a smile on your face.
Recommended.
By ChrisD
I agree with the sentiments that Royal Enfield seem to have got it right with this bike. I’ve only had a 1hour test ride on tar, potholes, gravel, mud etc. And I was sold halfway through. Its an easy bike to ride, very forgiving, adequate power for 70mph cruising (the one I tested had only 900kms on the clock) and matched the way I generally ride my BMW F650.
I would NOT want a twin cylinder version with near 50bhp. The one thing in its favour now is that it is relatively light to ride. With a twin lump in it, that plus point could go away and I’d be littlebetter off than my BMW.
Why haven’t I bought one yet? Well the South African authorities are apparently asking for a different homologation certificate from India (or they can’t understand the long words in the original one) so none can be imported yet even though the dealer has had many people asking to buy one – including me. Time will tell.
I’ve watched ItchyBoots riding terrain (#79) that I wouldn’t attempt on my BMW – that’s why I want one. Why wouldn’t I use my much modified (and even lighter) 1996 535cc? Well because I don't trust it. Her bike has so far done 30000klms with minimal servicing. Mine battles to reach 3000km before work is required!
Cheers, ChrisD

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles