This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By Jefferyk2
p wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 8:43 pm
I ride in Spain mostly: I've taken to wearing a fluorescent waistcoat over my normal jacket - it's the same colour the police wear, and it's amazing how much more space/consideration/respect I seem to get out on the road! Maybe it's because I'm more visible - but I suspect it's more than that....
A good idea is the reflecting backpack. While a majority of cyclists, including myself, are carrying boxes or baskets, I see more riders with sport bikes travelling on their shoulders with bag. Do you want to obtain a reflective waterproof backpack cover that can be readily substituted for various packages? I know that for these coverings there are various possibilities on the market, but I could develop them in a good design based on the design I have for the other products.
By Duke of Wybourne.
Because of the amount of miles I have done over the years the law of averages comes into play that I am at a higher risk. My record has mainly been getting tail ended at road junctions/roundabouts. Hi-viz you say. A friend who was a motorcycle cop got tail ended and shoved out into traffic on the busy A9 dial carriageway, because the driver "didn't see him".

By Wheaters
A friend who was a motorcycle cop got tail ended and shoved out into traffic on the busy A9 dial carriageway, because the driver "didn't see him".
Exactly the same thing happened to my wife, many years ago on her Honda C70. She was lucky the traffic already on the roundabout didn't run her over.

"Didn't see" often happens because drivers don't actually look. Not much we can do about that, but it's the best reason to have a loud exhaust.
By Duke of Wybourne.
Wheaters wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:21 am
A friend who was a motorcycle cop got tail ended and shoved out into traffic on the busy A9 dial carriageway, because the driver "didn't see him".
, but it's the best reason to have a loud exhaust.
Sorry, but that one doesn't wash. I witnessed a fire engine and two ambulances (sirens going) having to take evasive action because two people walked in front of them. How much noise do you need ?
By Andy C
Since being knocked off about 6 years ago by someone who "had not seen me" / "had not seen my indicators" I have become possibly a little over cautious - but can you be?

I have lost count of the amount of car drivers that seem to wait untill you are right upon them and pull out in front of you - you think they have seen you, but no, they are just waiting.

Virtually every junction I come to now I tend to slow down / have the brake and clutch "covered" ready to emergency stop.

Drivers have too many distractions in their cars these days - not only mobiles / sat navs but a lot of the car controls are managed via a digital "touch" screeen.

I could be accused of driving like an old fart these days but rather that than being T boned by someone who "did not see you" - the way some of the people on sprots bikes scares the crap out of me, they keep taking risk after risk, but hey I was young once and probably used to ride faster than I should have.

As said "Be careful out there"..........
By Wheaters
Duke of Wybourne. wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:14 pm
Wheaters wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:21 am
, but it's the best reason to have a loud exhaust.
Sorry, but that one doesn't wash. I witnessed a fire engine and two ambulances (sirens going) having to take evasive action because two people walked in front of them. How much noise do you need ?
You're mixing quotes there, not sure why.
By Breezin
'Loud pipes save lives.' What a load of twaddle.

What is needed is a serious campaign to get dopey drivers off their freakin' phones, and whatever other electronic devices they're transfixed by.
By Duke of Wybourne.
[/quote]

You're mixing quotes there, not sure why.
[/quote]

somebody went past with loud pipes and distracted me. I nearly fell off the pavement and got run down by a refuse truck. Lucky the driver swerved so he could ogle at a scantily clad lady walking on the pavement on the opposite side. :lol:

By Nitrowing
When I was active on the GoldWing forum, the florescent jacket debate was started. I pointed out that if people can't see a flying effing Wurlitzer then a yellow bib isn't going to help :lol:

Talk to truckers, they'll all tell you about idiots pulling out in front of them.
Wearing a reflective vest is only fooling yourself.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles