This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By binary
Thanks Alan R That explains a lot about Telematic devices. I have never heard of them before. Sounds very reassuring and a nice thing to have with possible lower insurance fees but that may be the sugar to get people to install them when in reality behind it all is a government that wants to get more information on its citizens. Some times you do not want people to know where you are and where you have been and where you are going and what you are doing. If you do not want to be tracked every where you go it is a good idea to turn your mobile phone off until you get back home again.
By another Allan
Actually, I think that it's all the drivers behind the Micra (or whatever) that are the problem. When have you been in one of these moving road blocks and found that the driver in front of you has left enough space behind the car in front of him/her so that you could overtake? Sufficient spacing between the vehicles would allow those who wish to press-on a bit, the opportunity to overtake safely, one vehicle at a time. I do agree though, that there are many incapable drivers out there who really should not be driving....
By ed.lazda
Then there's the driver in the queue who doesn't think you should be overtaking and moves up to close the gap even more. Happened to me once on the A1 north of Newcastle, two of us going side by side at 60mph, me in the wrong lane and him (yes, old guy with a cloth cap, but not a Micra) about 3 feet behind the car in front. Why do some people think they should be managing someone else's driving when they're clearly not capable of managing their own?
By Rattlebattle
This is why, though I appreciate the gesture, I don’t overtake when the driver in front moves his or her car towards the kerb to let me pass. One has to drive or ride for oneself alone. I always decide when it is safe to overtake; it is my responsibility to take that decision. I always acknowledge that the driver has moved over when I do pass. A good driver won’t hold up anyone even if he is in a Micra (and I find it ironic that an owner of probably the slowest current production 500cc bike criticises the car). It’s not what you drive or ride, it’s how you use it. Age is not necessarily a factor either. I was over 60 when I passed the then IAM test on a bike then a car. I still regularly “make progress” but sadly my C5 simply isn’t quick enough to use on one of the club runs - a Micra probably has a higher top speed.... (No I don’t own one but practically any car is quicker than a standard 500cc RE at the top end.
By still lucky eddie
I've been sitting in long slow moving queues of traffic for the last 40 years. Usually it's a bus, lorry or grockle towing a caravan at the head, it is certainly not anything new. Most modern 'city' cars such as my wifes 3-cylinder 1 litre Suzuki would leave a modern RE in the dust accelerating and on top end and is zero-rated for road tax due to low exhaust emmisions. The biggest cause of slow traffic is plain pig ignorance and slow drivers blocking the road when it would be so simple and good manners to drive through a lay-by to let traffic pass, as one expects farmers etc to do. I'm always aware of traffic when out in my Spitfire or on the bike and as both are now 'historic' neither is thrashed or driven hard and I'm frequently pulling into lay-bys if I've held anyone up. However what I consider being polite both annoyed and frustrated my instructor when I trained to be a driving instructor. His attitude was, and I suspect it is still the attitude of many driving instructors, there is no reason to pull over, you pay your road tax and are as entitled to be on the road as anyone else. Not helpful when frustrated drivers may pull a foolish manouvre. Regular driving/riding re-tests, say every 5 years would also thin out the traffic and get plenty of total numpties off of the road.
By SuzanneMalpass
Hello everyone. I am writing this message, perhaps off-topic, but my friend recommended your forum to me and said that you are competent in my question. So, the question is this: I need to send my bike from California to Washington. Does anyone know any reliable, proven and well-priced current trucking companies?
I would be very grateful for your answer!
By Wheaters
My daughter had an insurance telematics "spy" device fitted to her little Fiat Panda after she passed her test (guess who was paying the insurance....). The insurers provided an "App" which rated the driver. The deal was that if the car was consistently driven well, the insured got some discount. Too many low ratings and the insurance company took exception.

My wife and I often used the car as named drivers. I tend to drive right up to the speed limits where appropriate and safe. My daughter got into the habit of checking out Mum and Dad! She told me that I always scored 10/10. My wife doesn't drive as fast as me, but some times not so smoothly. She often got a lower score, to the point where my daughter told her off! Point is, these devices don't just rate the driver on the speed driven.
By Boxerman
So do you tell the device who is driving? It seems a bit unfair if your daughter got the blame for you or your wife driving badly [Not that this would ever happen - of course]
My Grandson was thinking about these to lower his insurance, but his Mum also uses his car at times.

Frank

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles