This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By stinkwheel
This is my local classic/reliability trial and the second ever trial I've entered as a competitor.

This trial allows Indian Bullets to enter in the pre-65 class, which is jolly decent of them.

The bike is a 2007 350 bullet. It's been fairly heavily modified since my last trial with a 21" wheel, longer shocks, minimalist mudguards and stays, trials gearing, a WAY meatier bashplate, smaller petrol tank, chain tensioner and cable rear brake conversion. So it's taller, lighter and lower geared.

IThere was one other enfield who entered on a crusader. Novel solution to fitting a larger rear sprocket!

Bikes are set off at 1 minute intervals then there's a gap before the cars go so the bikes get a fair crack of the whip at the sections before they become horribly swamped and rutted.

There was about 45 miles of road riding and 11 of off road with 13 sections and 2 observed tests. Sections are scored from 12 to 0 depending on how far up you get before putting a foot down. Once your foot touches the ground, even for a dab, the section is over.

The first was a byway called Carlisle Gate lane. I've ridden it before, it's pretty badly rutted and has overhanging blackthorn in places. I fell foul of the muddy ditch at the very start and landed up lying against the banking for 12 points. Annoyingly managed to get over the rest of the section without faults.

Then we went to Setmurthy woods. Two sections which were effectively fire-breaks consisting of deep mud. On the first one I totally lost traction and put a foot down before the 12 point sign and actually had to walk the bike back off the section with it in gear. I was still struggling to move it even then. A 350 section tyre and a bike that's mostly made of steel do not make for much traction on mud and grass.

Section three was similar with a ditch at the start line I never made it off. So three 12 point fails in three sections. Not a great start!. I hung about to watch some others and was reassured that I wasn't the only one suffering from a total absence of grip.

First special test is against the clock. Riding round cones with stops and starts in a forest clearing. Feet down is allowed here so I did ok with that one.

Next we went to Wythop woods, somewhere you wouldn't normally be allowed to ride your bike at all. Strict 15mph speed limit on threat of disqualification. There were a lot of bemused looking dog walkers and ramblers about, I was thinking they're going to look even more bemused when they see an Austin 7 drive past.

7 Sections here and the first few were blessedly on rock and gravel. Albeit badly rutted, insanelyt steep and loose in places but I managed to clean several of them once there was some grip available and I was really pleased with how the bike was performing. As ever, photos don't really give you much of an impression of quite how steep these sections are!

There were even a couple of re-starts (where you stop on a line part way up then have 10ft to get going again with your feet up) which I pretty much managed to make it look like I knew what I was doing.

Well, we all know what pride comes before! Next section was a bit muddier but with some stony bits in the ruts.

I got about halfway along then hit a more muddy/rutted patch and the back-end wagged out like a dog and down I went. No damage done though.

Next section could only be described as a quagmire. It had also started to snow!

I was fully expecting to fall off before the first marker. Managed to stay on then made it round the next corner. I think I was so surprised I forgot to look where I was going. Fell off and nearly knocked over a very understanding marshal by supermanning head-first into his legs, taking one of the section markers with me. I appologised but he said the marker had already been broken by the guy in front of me who came off in the exact same place.

Next we went back to Setmurthy to re-do the previous sections and observed test, but this time after 30-odd bikes and as many cars had already been along them! Did just as well as previously.

Penultimate one was Carlisle gate lonning but from the other side. Managed the restart which surprised even me. I couldn't see the section markers on this one so I'm not sure where it ended but a blackthorn bush grabbed my sleeve at one point and made me turn off up the banking and come off. I'm pretty sure the section was over by this point though because I could hear the next competitor behind me.

Final section is the infamous Sandale Lonning. Another public way. The section notes described it as "A long steep, deeply rutted section of mud and sluther becoming steeper and more rutted near the top.".

This description was entirely accurate. I watched three bikes come back down and exit the bottom of the section which made me feel better about dabbing a foot very near the bottom then slipping, sliding and spider-legging my way to the top fo the section. Two guys who were in class X (non trials enduro bikes with full knob tyres who aren't actually competing, just out for the ride) completed the section in a similar manner. I'll have a look but I seriously doubt anyone cleaned Sandale on a bike. There was a winch waiting at the top for the cars.

Thoroughly good time had. Remarkably, the only thing that fell off the bike was the rider. Bike needs a wash!

Just in case anyone is wondering about trying this. I'd recommend it, even if you have very little offroad experience like me. You do need to get your bike in good order and crash proofed with a bash plate to protect the vulnerable sump drain plugs on a bullet and you do need to expect to fall off but if I can have a go anyone can.

If you need any more encouragement, this guy did the whole trial on his brand new postie bike! I'm also pretty sure he did better than I did!
By stinkwheel
Things to do with the bike are to further lower the gearing (I can drop a tooth or two on the front sprocket) and add more exhaust wrap to the silencer because I've melted yet another hole in my waterproofs.
By Wheaters
Well done!

Having tried competitive off- roading on my Bullet on the MCC Edinburgh Trial I decided that:
A) my bike is too heavy for what I wanted to do.
B) I'm too old for what I wanted to do
C) having lost one kidney I can't afford to damage the other.

So it's no more competitive off road stuff for me on this bike.

But I do have a car.....
By Daiwiskers
I have to admit I envy you for having the 3alls to have a go on a Bullet

Well done sir

I still have a slight limp due to a off back in the early 70s

Once again well done Dai
By rattonshaw
Excellent photos; they really give some of the atmosphere, though, as you say, photos never show the actual steepness of the sections. The Bullet is looking more competitive with the 21 in front wheel. A 4:00 in. tyre on the rear might help with grip, but I believe some swinging arms can't accommodate more than a 3.50 in. tyre.

The Motor Cycling Club have just introduced a Class S for step-throughs and scooters so that guy's postie bike could now win a best in class award. Their Edinburgh Trial, held in the Peak District in October, is not too far from you so might be worth entering on the Bullet. A guy entered a Norton 350 rigid in their Exeter Trial and your bullet is more competitive than that.
By stinkwheel
Aye, the Edinburgh is a medium term aim for me. I want to get more practice in riding on sluthery mud although from yesterdays experience, there is a definate limit on that bike beyond which it simply wont grip. If it can't pull itself along in 1st with no rider on, I doubt it wil do better with me on it.
By Adrian
HOW ABOUT fitting a trials side-car? Fit a 500 engine if it needs it, then find a willing passenger? I see there actually was an outfit in among the bikes, how did they get on?

A.
By Wheaters
Having marshalled on classic trials for quite some years, I reckon if ever there was a machine designed to throw its occupants into the dirt, it’s a motorbike and sidecar when off roading. They are the work of the devil! :twisted:

The sidecar wheel hits a rut or gets stuck in the mud, the rear wheel drives the bike around it, to the left. The front wheel runs up the bank, followed by the sidecar wheel. The whole outfit then rolls over to the right.

I’ve helped pick up quite a few competitors over the years, some of them injured. Broken wrist or damaged shoulder is not uncommon. :(
By stinkwheel
Adrian wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:40 pm
HOW ABOUT fitting a trials side-car? Fit a 500 engine if it needs it, then find a willing passenger? I see there actually was an outfit in among the bikes, how did they get on?

A.
I for one will never ride a sidecar again. Not after my last one (Jawa 350) threw me down a ravine.

The triumph twin outfit on the day completed the trial but it was sounding distinctly unwell for the last half of it. It was running lean and intermittantly on one pot so lots of spitting and backfires with some overheating thrown in for good measure which must have made it an unruly handful to pilot. He was having similar issues to me with finding traction on the muddy sections

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles