This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By LanesExplorer
Watsonian/Squire have just sent me details of the outfits they'll be showing at the NEC (4th-12th December) if anyone is going. They will be close by the Royal Enfield stand.
By Duke of Wybourne.
Doesn't look too dissimilar to a Charnwood Meteor, and it did have a full length mudguard.

I like sidecars, and have owned and ridden many miles on them, but with the way the world has gone safety bonkers, I cannot understand why they're still allowed on the road. :lol: Never a good thing to become over confident on an outfit I say. Last Enfield mounted one I saw was on a 350 Bullet heading towards Skye on the A887 nearly managing 18mph with a 2 mile tailback.
By papasmurf
Duke of Wybourne. wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:22 pm
Doesn't look too dissimilar to a Charnwood Meteor, and it did have a full length mudguard.

I like sidecars, and have owned and ridden many miles on them, but with the way the world has gone safety bonkers, I cannot understand why they're still allowed on the road. :lol: Never a good thing to become over confident on an outfit I say. Last Enfield mounted one I saw was on a 350 Bullet heading towards Skye on the A887 nearly managing 18mph with a 2 mile tailback.
My Honda CX500 Custom and Velorex 700 sidecar, (I fitted it I can't blame anyone else,) will do 80mph but that is a religious experience.
By Wheaters
Duke of Wybourne. wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:22 pm
I like sidecars, and have owned and ridden many miles on them, but with the way the world has gone safety bonkers, I cannot understand why they're still allowed on the road. :lol: Never a good thing to become over confident on an outfit I say.
I'm a member of the MCC (Motor Cycling Club) who's speciality is Classic Trials, involving about 150-200 miles including around 12 or 15 off road sections. If there was ever a machine designed to maim the occupants during these, its a motorbike and sidecar outfit built for trials!

For a start, the passenger seat is usually tiny and although the sidecar must have a nose cone and a mudguard, there's usually no other proper bodywork, only a handrail. You need to be tough!

I've lost count of how many I've seen tip right over on the sections and I've helped pick up quite a number. They all seem to suffer the same problem..... on a steep, slippery off road track section, the driver will be giving it some beans. The sidecar wheel hits a rock, holding it back. The bike rear wheel drives the outfit hard left. The sidecar wheel then runs up the bank alongside the track and the outfit then rolls hard to the right. If the throttle isn't quickly closed the sidecar can go right over the bike. And they're not easy to get back on their wheels! :shock:
By LanesExplorer
Crikey! That'll be this sort of thing then... (first photo here). I thought this Ariel Golden Arrow outfit rather a head turner I thought though underbraked! (second photo).
For 3 years in the late seventies I rode a Watsonian Monaco /BSA Lightning outfit which I really enjoyed,hence my interest in sidecars still.
Attachments
0af21156-494f-c218-e1e7-01ad2717309d.jpg
0af21156-494f-c218-e1e7-01ad2717309d.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 2133 times
8fbe30db-f9ea-750c-0fff-86a29e20c910.jpg
8fbe30db-f9ea-750c-0fff-86a29e20c910.jpg (198.35 KiB) Viewed 2133 times
By Daiwiskers
A well set up outfit can be great fun once you get used to opening the throttle to turn left and closing the throttle to turn right
Also one of the best vehicles when the snow is down
Not so good on icy roads but a whole lot better than a solo
By papasmurf
Daiwiskers wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:38 am
A well set up outfit can be great fun once you get used to opening the throttle to turn left and closing the throttle to turn right
Also one of the best vehicles when the snow is down
Not so good on icy roads but a whole lot better than a solo

I have a sidecar brake which operates independently on the Honda CX500 and Velorex sidecar which mean with care I can slow down going around left handers. (Assuming the sidecar wheel is in contact with the road.)

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles