This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13925
By SAM+TUCKER
LanesExplorer wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:32 am
I'm sure I'm not alone in finding these a delight. When I first began buying motorcycle books back in the early sixties (I was an early starter!) I had two which I really liked published by 'The Motor Cycle' which were 'Motorcycle Engines'. Series 1 and 2. I lent them out in the seventies but never got them back. Ah well..
Lawrie Watts used to draw magnificent ones - especially during the TT week.
Which leads me on to the superb advertising for the new Meteor. There's a section of it which shows the new engine 'coming together'.. Now all I want is a comprehensive workshop manual full of these drawings for my Meteor... This may be some way off :)
I agree, hopefully we will get this very much need needed information. My Meteor is one of the best of 30 motorcycles I have owned in my long riding experence (now 73 years old) but I will not be satisfied with it till I get the workshop manuel and drawings , complete information , trouble codes for ECM etc. These have always been provided before with all my other motercycles . I also own a recent 2020 Yamaha XT 250 and all of that information is provided to the owner by Yamaha. I was unpleasently supprised when I could not get a complete workshop from Royal Enfield.
By SAM+TUCKER
LanesExplorer wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:26 am
There's been very little interest in this thread that I started so I may be wasting my time with this... But, I have exploded view drawings of the Meteor 350! I wandered across to an 'unofficial Royal Enfield forum' which is US based and I'm sure many of you are familiar with it. Any way.. On it someone asked about the Meteor engine and he was given a link to micro fiche drawings. Had a look and Lo, twas our own MOTOGB website. Now I know what the innards look like.
I am one that has a keen interest in this thread. A very large part of my enjoyment in motorcycle ownership is a complete understanding of its design and performing all of my own mechanical work. I still review from timt to time even though outdated P.E. Irving's book Motorcycle Engineering. Thanks for sharing any leads on information for the Meteor 350
By LanesExplorer
Hello Sam and thanks for the original thread 'over the pond' which led me to the motogb site and michrofiches. Like you, having all this information enhances having one of these machines and though I don't have your long riding experience this is also the best motorcycle I've ever owned. I have a suspicion that we'll be waiting a long while for a workshop manual! Enjoy your Meteor.
By LanesExplorer
I should have added, Sam, that I've spent today printing out the available drawings which is a tremendous help in understanding how the Meteor is put together. I won't be taking mine apart, as that, I'm sure, will invalidate the 3 year warranty. But looking at the drawings and examining my own Meteor I think it's an alloy barrel, probably with iron liner. The cam followers seem to be flat bottomed and rotate to even out wear.
And I agree that Phil Irving's book, despite (or perhaps because??) its age, is quite brilliant.
By SAM+TUCKER
I also noticed that the cylinder block is not magnetic so must also be alloy like the head ,no doubt with a steel liner.
Trying to determine how the oil supply gets to the rocker arms no outside line so it must have internal passages and returns to the crank case by the timing chain chamber.
The engine is referred to as air /oil cooled assuming that’s because it looks like there’s a couple oil jets that spray the piston and some other parts.
Can’t determine what method this engine uses to relieve
crank case pressure does it have a timed breather like so many engines of this type use? Perhaps it gets by without that by venting to the airbox and some type of one way diaphragm valve.

Good suggestion on printing out those parts diagrams later on this evening I’ll see if I can get my computer to cooperate with doing ;) ;
By SAM+TUCKER
See the method of crankcase breathing now on the cylinder head diagram . Uses a reed valve.

Curious about the indexable camshaft sprocket that has 3 bolt slots to vary the valve timing?
By LanesExplorer
Ah yes, Sam. The reed valve assembly is Item 11 on the drawing of the cylinder head. Appears to be venting into the evaporative system part of the fuel tank at the front.
Like you I was interested to see the valve timing adjustment - simple yet effective.
Attachments
IMG_20211029_115705.jpg
IMG_20211029_115705.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 3254 times

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles